Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

are you friends with....

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 40 Replies
  • 351 Total Views
1 mom liked this

your sibling's in-laws (mil, fil, bil, sil, etc.)?

If not, why

If so, how often do you see them?  How close do they live? Are they included in "family" events that you host?  Are you friends because you like them, or because they live close?

edit - your sibling's in-laws.... example: my brother's wife's mom, dad, brother, or sister.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Debbie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I'm not...2 of my sister's arent married and haven't been for awhile..The other one's I haven't talked to in years..

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We get along okay but I wouldn't say we were friends. They are all extremely anal retentive, judgmental (but happily talk behind your back rather than to your face) and uptight. My friends that I willingly spend time with are far more easy going, happy and uplifting.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Yes, pretty much. My siser is married to a wonerful guy, who is now dying. I love Ron alot, he's been a better brother to me than one of my own. They live in IL. My brother's wife, we get along, but I'm noticing lately she can be quite a two-faced b**ch! I also have a good relationshp with my other sister's husband. They live in San Diego.

I get along well with Ray's brothers, Bob & Howard. My othe SIL, Kathy, I get along with, but she won't come home to AR, long story. She lives by Vista, CA. My brother John, I love to pieces, we get along great. He's in IL. Ray's other sister, Sharon, committed suicide about 5 years ago. I met her twice, we got along. FIL died in 1993. We had a rocky start, but I grew to love him very much. same for him.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM
My sister yes we are friends. my brother not so much. My brothers wife, not so much either, they both are very stuck on themselves.

My 1st BIL he's distanced himself from the family, tried but he's a loner. My2nd BIL he's cool and he loves teasing his nieces.

When my FIL was alive he was like a second father. I knew my MIL but she passed before DH and I got married. She was a lovely caring woman. I miss them both dearly!!!
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM
My Sis n law parents are gone. I am great friends with my son n laws family and my DIL family as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM

My sisters Alicia's inlaws are a mess and I try to avoid them.  I barely tolerate her husband Mark.  Her mil is a hoarder (really, I'm not kidding) and not 100% there.  One bil is a raging alcoholic who doesn't think he has a problem, another bil is a druggy who wanders around and only contacts the family every couple of years so they never know if he's dead or alive, and the 3rd bil is slightly normal, but there's something about his character I just don't care for.

My brother Nick-Eddy's wife Paula has a nice family, but I don't see them very often.  Only at big family parties for my neice or nephew.

I get along wonderfully with Marco's partner, Gregg, but I have never met Gregg's family.  They are still coming to terms with the fact that Gregg is gay even though he's been out of the closet for a few years now.  (rolling my eyes)

luvnature
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM

we don't talk to my husband's siblings. hell, I don't even talk to my own sister lol. we have tried in the past, but we kept hitting a brick wall with them, so after trying for close to 10 yrs without results, we just gave up. there's only so much we can do. afterall, it is a two way street and both parties have to make an effort. we just got tired of them putting me down because I can speak up for myself without anyone's help. when MIL calls, I just hand the phone to my husband. 

and my in-laws live 4 days drive from where we are and my mother lives 9 hours away from us. 

we did get along somewhat with my father in law, but he passed away in 2008. 

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM

do you have one sib.... or do all your sibs have anal retentive relatives?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

We get along okay but I wouldn't say we were friends. They are all extremely anal retentive, judgmental (but happily talk behind your back rather than to your face) and uptight. My friends that I willingly spend time with are far more easy going, happy and uplifting.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM

that isnt what I meant.... do you get along with your siblings in-laws.  Meaning Ron's family, or your brother's wife's family.

Quoting Mariagma3:

Yes, pretty much. My siser is married to a wonerful guy, who is now dying. I love Ron alot, he's been a better brother to me than one of my own. They live in IL. My brother's wife, we get along, bu I'm noticing lately she can be quite a two-faced b**ch! I also have a good relationshp with my other sister's husband. They live in San Diego.

I get along well with Ray's brothers, Bob & Howard. My othe SIL, Kathy, I get along with, but she won't come home to AR, long story. She lives by Vista, CA. My brother John, I love to pieces, we get along great. He's in IL. Ray's other sister, Sharon, committed suicide about 5 years ago. I met her twice, we got along. FIL died in 1993. We had a rocky start, but I grew to love him very much. same for him.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I guess I didnt make myself clear... I was asking about your sibling's in laws. Your brother's wife's family.

Quoting maryg38:

My sister yes we are friends. my brother not so much. My brothers wife, not so much either, they both are very stuck on themselves.

My 1st BIL he's distanced himself from the family, tried but he's a loner. My2nd BIL he's cool and he loves teasing his nieces.

When my FIL was alive he was like a second father. I knew my MIL but she passed before DH and I got married. She was a lovely caring woman. I miss them both dearly!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN