Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

iep issues

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 473 Total Views
1 mom liked this
They want to move ds into normal ppre k instead of kindergarten. He is special needs right now. They say he is to smart for special needs. He is there for hearing and speech issues. He still talks fragmented sentences. And he was decided he didn't need aids. He is starting to say alot I can't hear you. He was mild and moderate on test with one drum retracted. At the time this was discussed putting him in regular pre k I was 90% sure that. Is what he need. With him doing the I can't hear you thing I am starting to have second thoughts. Would you go special needs again or regular pre k with circumstances òn his iep and what would they be. I and thinking request half day special needs and half day regular with teacher having a microphone and put him in front row. I am going to get his hearing tested again. But it was also advised to me to get him òn SSI. I am split òn doing that. I feel like a freeloader doing that. Iep meeting is Thursday I need advice. What would you do and why. I don't want to move him before he is ready alding him back is equally as bad. Famed
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Dang phone holding him back can be just as bad.
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on May. 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I would do pre K with accommodations.  Talk to his spec ed teacher she should be able to help with the accommodations needed.  Message me if you need too, Nathan has had an IEP since he was three in non cat pre K, he is a junior in high school.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on May. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely have his hearing tested again just to be sure he's not just saying that, but hearing fine (well, fine for him).  Accommodations in writing, at the front of the class, smaller class settings for tests and things, repeated directions, and one on one with the teacher after she has finished reading directions to the class.  She needs to go to him specifically to make sure he heard and understood.  Maybe even an inclusion teacher?  Nate has three inclusion teachers in his regular ed classes.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Which accommodations would you ask for? My oldest was ieped for other reasons. But not sure what I can request for him. Totally different issues and more severe òn him.

Quoting crazymom729:

I would do pre K with accommodations.  Talk to his spec ed teacher she should be able to help with the accommodations needed.  Message me if you need too, Nathan has had an IEP since he was three in non cat pre K, he is a junior in high school.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I love these ideas especially the repeating and making sure he understands.

Quoting crazymom729:

I would definitely have his hearing tested again just to be sure he's not just saying that, but hearing fine (well, fine for him).  Accommodations in writing, at the front of the class, smaller class settings for tests and things, repeated directions, and one on one with the teacher after she has finished reading directions to the class.  She needs to go to him specifically to make sure he heard and understood.  Maybe even an inclusion teacher?  Nate has three inclusion teachers in his regular ed classes.

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on May. 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand it's pre K but still get these started early in his IEP

crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on May. 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Well they have a choice, either put him in special ed or give him an IEP.  Voice your concerns and let the teacher come up with the accommodations according to your concerns.  My suggestions are what my son has, he doesn't have a hearing problem, don't let them intimidate you or talk you into something you aren't comfortable with. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Which accommodations would you ask for? My oldest was ieped for other reasons. But not sure what I can request for him. Totally different issues and more severe òn him.

Quoting crazymom729:

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I totally agree hearing can always deteriorate over time and prfound runs in the family. Half of his dad's side runs mild to profound including his dd 2 brothers cousin and aunt that I know of.

Quoting crazymom729:

I understand it's pre K but still get these started early in his IEP

KW1280
by Silver sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with allof what crazymom said
T was on an IEP for dyslexia up until 8th grade. She is in regular classes and she is doing excellent in trig. She is an A and B student. Now she has modified reading which is extra time for test and I kept her back in first grade
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on May. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Believe me they won't. What else does your ds have on his? He may not be hard of hearing but the ideas your giving me would help mine I can eliminate what I think doesn't apply. His brother's questions were pick from 2 choices and no fil in blanks I think that hurt him instead of helping later in life so I am not asking for those.

Quoting crazymom729:

Well they have a choice, either put him in special ed or give him an IEP.  Voice your concerns and let the teacher come up with the accommodations according to your concerns.  My suggestions are what my son has, he doesn't have a hearing problem, don't let them intimidate you or talk you into something you aren't comfortable with. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting crazymom729:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN