Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any of you ladies start college later in life?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 152 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I am 44 and I really want to go back to college. I went for a year when I was 18 and never finished. I am determined to get back and receive my Bachelor's, but I am nervous about being so much older than the rest of the students. I have kids that are 19. I need some inspiration from those of you that had a similar experience and any struggles you had. 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on May. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I didn't but wishing you much luck. I know you can do it!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on May. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I went to college the first time with DD and got two business degrees. I went back 6 years later with DS for Advanced EMT... So YES... I went back later in life... lol... And YES I was the oldest in most of my classes... But I loved it... I am the mother hen type, so all the kids loved me... LOL...

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be 50 soon and in college and have been for 5 years now.. I say if you really want it then do it!! :)

jeweldragons
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It's never too late to go back to school. I read of a lady who graduated college at 98 years old a few months back on yahoo news.  I'm going back next Fall (Fall 2014) and I'll be 27 then part-time for Early Childhood Education.  Then I have to go to the main campus to get my TESOL Endorsement to be certified to teach K-12 ESL in OH.  Then I have to go to New York for 4 weeks to get my TESOL Certificate to become an ESL teacher and bea ble to teach ESL overseas.  I'm nervous and looking forward to it.  I did go to college for two quarters in 2011 but had to drop out because I couldn't afford it at the time.  Do not let anything stop you from going back to school.   Best of luck to you!

gonecrazi
by Lucky Ellen on May. 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I do online classes. I will graduate in 2016.

wishbearmom
by Sue on May. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I completed my BA in my mid 20s and I was almost 40 when I got my master's degree. It's all about determination. Honestly, it was much easier for me as a mature adult because I had a stronger drive and focus. In fact, I blew my classmates out of the water, got a 4.0 in all my grad courses because I was committed. I say go for it!

mrfranklin0321
by New sister on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement. Hearing your stories make me even more determined.

Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on May. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I went back at 47, graduated in 2010. You can do it! I have my AS in Applied Sciences. My major was Medical Assisting. Good luck to you!

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I went back and did one class at a time and got an undergrad degree in my early 40's and did the same thing to earn an MBA a couple of years ago. I really appreciated the learning experience being much older than I did when I was younger. I hope you enjoy the experience and wish you great success!

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on May. 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Go for it.. I am about to go back as well! You are going to be the same age with or without a degree..I think with sounds better!  Can't wait to hear that you have enrolled.. Yeah! and besides 44 is the new 34 big smile mini

Quoting mrfranklin0321:

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement. Hearing your stories make me even more determined.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN