Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Any of you ladies start college later in life?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 110 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I am 44 and I really want to go back to college. I went for a year when I was 18 and never finished. I am determined to get back and receive my Bachelor's, but I am nervous about being so much older than the rest of the students. I have kids that are 19. I need some inspiration from those of you that had a similar experience and any struggles you had. 

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on May. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I didn't but wishing you much luck. I know you can do it!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on May. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I went to college the first time with DD and got two business degrees. I went back 6 years later with DS for Advanced EMT... So YES... I went back later in life... lol... And YES I was the oldest in most of my classes... But I loved it... I am the mother hen type, so all the kids loved me... LOL...

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be 50 soon and in college and have been for 5 years now.. I say if you really want it then do it!! :)

jeweldragons
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It's never too late to go back to school. I read of a lady who graduated college at 98 years old a few months back on yahoo news.  I'm going back next Fall (Fall 2014) and I'll be 27 then part-time for Early Childhood Education.  Then I have to go to the main campus to get my TESOL Endorsement to be certified to teach K-12 ESL in OH.  Then I have to go to New York for 4 weeks to get my TESOL Certificate to become an ESL teacher and bea ble to teach ESL overseas.  I'm nervous and looking forward to it.  I did go to college for two quarters in 2011 but had to drop out because I couldn't afford it at the time.  Do not let anything stop you from going back to school.   Best of luck to you!

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on May. 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I do online classes. I will graduate in 2016.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on May. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I completed my BA in my mid 20s and I was almost 40 when I got my master's degree. It's all about determination. Honestly, it was much easier for me as a mature adult because I had a stronger drive and focus. In fact, I blew my classmates out of the water, got a 4.0 in all my grad courses because I was committed. I say go for it!

mrfranklin0321
by New sister on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement. Hearing your stories make me even more determined.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on May. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I went back at 47, graduated in 2010. You can do it! I have my AS in Applied Sciences. My major was Medical Assisting. Good luck to you!

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I went back and did one class at a time and got an undergrad degree in my early 40's and did the same thing to earn an MBA a couple of years ago. I really appreciated the learning experience being much older than I did when I was younger. I hope you enjoy the experience and wish you great success!

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on May. 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Go for it.. I am about to go back as well! You are going to be the same age with or without a degree..I think with sounds better!  Can't wait to hear that you have enrolled.. Yeah! and besides 44 is the new 34 big smile mini

Quoting mrfranklin0321:

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement. Hearing your stories make me even more determined.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)