Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tornado Emergency Kit/Preparedness

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 245 Total Views
1 mom liked this

When my sweetpea was in Elementary the teachers had them put together a Tornado Emerg. kit.  They thought that doing so would help give the kids a little bit of comfort...  It worked!  After talking with some of the parents (I was in PTA at the time) I heard many say it gave the kids reassurance that they would be ok if anything happened.  So, I am going to share it with you all and FEEL FREE TO ADD anything else to this list. 

With the weather being what it has been lately I think it's a much needed thing.

Tornado Emergency Kit: (for at least 3 days)

1. Get a weather radio. the crank radios so you can use them even if you don’t have power
  2. families plan- Do you have a certain room that you need to go to? If somehow you get separated do you know where you are going to meet up and are there any ways to communicate with each other?
  3. Water- you should have a gallon per person & pet
  4. Food- Energy Bars, Dried Fruit, canned goods(tuna & things you can eat out of the can)
  5. Pet food
  6. Manual can opener
  7. First Aid Kit-make sure to put any meds you MUST take
  8. Flashlight + Batteries (Or a Crank Flashlight)
  9. Blankets
  10. Important Documents: Important Phone Numbers; Child & Adult ID/ss#; Pet Id, credit card #'s, bank account #'s, prescriptions

11. Duct tape

12. Multifunction tool [needle nose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutter,file/cutter, flat file, pointed screwdriver, mini-screwdriver, small screwdriver, screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener,punch, knife blade

13. Metal whistles

14. pen/pencils/crayons and notepad

15. toilet paper/towelettes/diapers (if you have a lil one)

16. a set of clothes per person & shoes

17. matches & candles

18. Sanitary supplies-toothbrush/toothpaste, soap, feminine prod., soap

19. Paper plates, forks & spoons

20. chargers-for your phone & any other item you might need

21. Hurrican lamp, propane & extra mantles 

22. Deck of Cards or books for kids

23. Tent

Put most of these items into a large container such as a storage tub/box or large trash can, duct tape it shut to keep clean and from spilling out.  Other items can be stored in/where you go for safety...

Did I miss anything or what else would you add??

Pinned Image.Southern girl

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    maryg38
    by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    1 mom liked this
    Batteries(you said batteries didn't you)

Chargers...(I have a crank radio that can charge my phone and the kids iPod's)

Hurricane lamps(propane type)

Maida265
    by Stiletto on May. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    2 moms liked this

Such a great idea! We have emergency kits we make up here (but not for tornado's but rather for blizzards and hurricanes.) It's very similar to these. It makes you feel a bit more empowered when you feel you have taken some control.

maryg38
    by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    2 moms liked this
    Crayons along with pencils/pens
    BL2010
    by BL on May. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    1 mom liked this

Great list... .This would be good for really any kind of emergencies. We should have one, but we don't.

starlight1968
    by 40ish hang out queen on May. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

ty mary...added all!

Quoting maryg38:

maryg38
    by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    You're very welcome

Quoting starlight1968:

ty mary...added all!

Quoting maryg38:

maryg38
    by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Oh the propane hurricane lamp they have those mesh things that you'll need too so it can be lit, what are those called??? Crapola I forget... I call them mesh thingy's but I know that's not the name
    daisybelle1960
    by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    2 moms liked this
    I started a long term supply of canned goods, and I need to replenish it. If something happened to the supply of food coming into our stores, most of us would be in a bad way.
    wishbearmom
    by Ruby sister on May. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    1 mom liked this

This is very true. It's important to have a decent supply of water and non-perishable food items.

Quoting daisybelle1960:

I started a long term supply of canned goods, and I need to replenish it. If something happened to the supply of food coming into our stores, most of us would be in a bad way.

Chrissie670
    by Sister on May. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    2 moms liked this

If you have a gas grill an extra tank.  It was nice to have a hot meal when the power was out during the hurricanes

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)