Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bridge Collapse

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 129 Total Views
So, as you might know we had a bridge collapse here yesterday. A truck carrying an oversize load hit the bridge and the bridge collapsed into the Skagit River. Three cars went into the river also. Luckily the river was low and nobody had more than bumps and bruises. The bridge is on Interstate 5 which of course is THE main freeway.

Because this bridge is out, and they have closed that part of the freeway, traffic is backed up for hours on the detour routes. Apparently our governor has declared this a state of emergency. For TRAFFIC. He has declared this in three counties.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Especially with the situation in Oklahoma right now? Whoever heard of a state of emergency declared due to traffic jams?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Maida265
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Depends...is this the only way out of the town/city?

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I think it could be a bit extreme and maybe he could have not made it a state of emergency but made sure each person gets turned around and redirected. I saw this on the news and was so glad no one was hurt. If I am not mistaken there was another bridge that fell yesterday to.

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on May. 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Isn't I-5 the major freeway? I think it's a bit extreme but there are other highways. Then again head of transportation might be telling him other bridges need to be looked at carefully to prevent another collapse.
Maida265
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

That was sort of my point. I'm geographically challenged and have NO idea where I-5 is, but I would think there are some contributing factors.

AuntieM
by Bronze sister on May. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I-5 is the freeway that runs from Canada to Mexico. This is the only bridge they are looking at in that area. They have redirected traffic. One of the detours takes travelers on surface streets around the city. The other takes them down another highway. Both detours take you back to the freeway past the closure. No, it's of the only way out of the city, just the main one. I just think it's a bit extreme to declare a state of emergency because a section of the bridge collapsed. I could see it if it was the Golden Gate or something like that. All this situation is going to do is cause traffic problems.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on May. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I wonder if the timing is due to the holiday, and if they will receive federal funds to rebuild the bridge. We have a lot of bridges in Portland that are considered  "functionally obsolete" like that bridge, which I've been over a few times. It's scary to think we have many bridges like that in our country.

Quoting AuntieM:

I-5 is the freeway that runs from Canada to Mexico. This is the only bridge they are looking at in that area. They have redirected traffic. One of the detours takes travelers on surface streets around the city. The other takes them down another highway. Both detours take you back to the freeway past the closure. No, it's of the only way out of the city, just the main one. I just think it's a bit extreme to declare a state of emergency because a section of the bridge collapsed. I could see it if it was the Golden Gate or something like that. All this situation is going to do is cause traffic problems.

AuntieM
by Bronze sister on May. 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Maybe it has to be declared that to get the funding. I didn't think of that. But I haven't heard anything about that. And just to be clear, it wasn't the whole bridge. It was a 24' section of the bridge and they are talking about just replacing that section. They might even be talking about going after the trucking company because the pilot car did not inform the truck driver he wouldn't have enough room. The bridge was three inches too short.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

I wonder if the timing is due to the holiday, and if they will receive federal funds to rebuild the bridge. We have a lot of bridges in Portland that are considered  "functionally obsolete" like that bridge, which I've been over a few times. It's scary to think we have many bridges like that in our country.

Quoting AuntieM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)