Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does your family

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 187 Total Views
Ok just got off the phone with my sil, i have taco night with the in laws for mils bday/ anniversary! She ( we dont get along) tells me we need to do this as grandma may not be here next yr ( anything now planned is because it maybe her last) yes, this maybe true, it could be that way for any of us? We could leave the house and our number may come up, right? They have a aunt on dh side who as long as i have known him the family has had her on like a death watch list, or when family go in for surgery mil will call and ask if our funeral wear is clean and if we have checked flight schedules to go there? My family dont do this, its like being married to the addams family! So is this normal to do this?
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snowl
by Snowl :) on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds a bit morbid to me. My family celebrates as much as possible! No need to bring up doom and gloom until you have to.

jett286
by BrewMisstress on May. 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

No we haven't ever done that.  Even when my grandma was really sick and in a coma we didn't have a 'death' watch so to speak.  She lived anohter 13 years or so after she was 'supposed' to die...Although the last time I did see her I KNEW it would be the last.  I lived in California and she was in Oregon we came to visit and I cried in the car when we left.  My husband thought I was nuts...she did die a few months later....

Now on my dh's side ~ his mom is ALWAYS (and ALWAYS has even before she moved into assisted living) giving us the death list.  She'll call my husband and tell him everyone who died.....or is sick or whatever.  

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on May. 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM
DH's family is a little similar. When I met his grandmother, she was about 83 and told me she could die at any time. She died a few months short of her 102nd birthday. She was always sicker than people who died.

One night (well before I was around) she thought she was dying and assembled the whole family around her bed to say good bye. Turns out she had eaten a whole pound of peanuts and had bad indisgetion. LOL! She was such a drama queen!

My family is not like this at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrgetinold
by Gold sister on May. 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Quoting jett286:

No we haven't ever done that.  Even when my grandma was really sick and in a coma we didn't have a 'death' watch so to speak.  She lived anohter 13 years or so after she was 'supposed' to die...Although the last time I did see her I KNEW it would be the last.  I lived in California and she was in Oregon we came to visit and I cried in the car when we left.  My husband thought I was nuts...she did die a few months later....

Now on my dh's side ~ his mom is ALWAYS (and ALWAYS has even before she moved into assisted living) giving us the death list.  She'll call my husband and tell him everyone who died.....or is sick or whatever.  

so maybe its a mil thing my mil will call and tell us she went to so and sos funeral ( ppl we dont know) oh my gosh when i get that way i hope some one takes me aside and says thats annoying stop it! Thank you hugs
mrgetinold
by Gold sister on May. 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting coolmommy2x:

DH's family is a little similar. When I met his grandmother, she was about 83 and told me she could die at any time. She died a few months short of her 102nd birthday. She was always sicker than people who died.

One night (well before I was around) she thought she was dying and assembled the whole family around her bed to say good bye. Turns out she had eaten a whole pound of peanuts and had bad indisgetion. LOL! She was such a drama queen!

sorry, my mil has called 911 on herself so often they now calll a relative to make sure it is a real emergency! She sits there with the phone and calls at all hours!
coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on May. 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM
that's not funny but I did laugh.

DH's family also seems to like hospital visits or bedside vigils as I call them.

Quoting mrgetinold:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

sorry, my mil has called 911 on herself so often they now calll a relative to make sure it is a real emergency! She sits there with the phone and calls at all hours!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ALolies
by 'Lil Feather' H.A. on May. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Nope.. Not my family or DHs... We don't start the burial process til they are dead... The closest we have is Granny paid for pre-need about 23 years ago when she sold her house... And all our burial plots are paid for...

looneymom424
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

My daughters BFs family does this it is more of a drama thing if you ask me some people just like the attention we dont do this if I did I would do it every week with my parents and his.

HippyMomma45
by Bronze sister on May. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

My Mom would do that after Dad's stroke a couple years ago. The stroke was in June & Mom went out &  bought me a nice black summery dress [even though I could affored my own dress but she wasn't sure she'd approve of one I got]so I'd "be prepared" for the funeral. Dad survived. 6 months later at Christmas he took a turn for the worst, Mom again went & found me a Winter funeral dress. Never wore it but she'd always ask my sisters & I if we were prepared. 

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

oh good grief... and no neither side of our family does this...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)