Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

At what age should a child have a Facebook page or Myspace?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

What is a good age for a child to have a Facebook page or MySpace?

I am seeing children as young as 5 with a FB page and I am not sure they are old enough to need a social media page. I  know there are privacy settings but some people can still see some information or pictures of the child. I know some allow their child a page so family can keep up with them and some for the games. But what is a good age??

Is social media groups overly exposing our children or is the parents overly exposing them?

* No bashing as this is based on opinion ONLY!!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_dl6
by Miss Mary Belle on May. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I say no earlier than 16 and even then they should be monitored with it.

our family has a Computer in the Family room for all to see as it's being used. Can't be to safe now days esp. with so much cyber bullying going on and online predators.

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on May. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I think it depends on the responsibility of the child and the maturity level.  But I'd say 12yr would be the lowest I would allow.  Before that, what exactly are they going to post and who are they going to talk to??

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting mom_dl6:

our family has a Computer in the Family room for all to see as it's being used. Can't be to safe now days esp. with so much cyber bullying going on and online predators.

Hi Mary, great to see you!! :)

I agree that 16 is old enough as long as they are monitor. I know so many children that are younger that have a FB acct and for the life of me I cant figure out why or what they need it for. My child is 7 and she wont get one until at least 16.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Quoting GoddessJohnnie:

I think it depends on the responsibility of the child and the maturity level.  But I'd say 12yr would be the lowest I would allow.  Before that, what exactly are they going to post and who are they going to talk to??

I saw a child that look like she was 8 or 9 and she had a page and she was posting pictures of herself. But someone made a point to me one day when they said that now days kids have smart phones at a young age and with that comes the internet..

mom_dl6
by Miss Mary Belle on May. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Quoting dana63:

Quoting mom_dl6:

Hi Mary, great to see you!! :)

I agree that 16 is old enough as long as they are monitor. I know so many children that are younger that have a FB acct and for the life of me I cant figure out why or what they need it for. My child is 7 and she wont get one until at least 16.

Me too Dana my youngest DD (10) Trinity  will have to wait till 16 as well ,And she said that most of the kids in her class (4th) have FB page and all i could say was WOW. She actually thinks that's bad because she says "Mom they're too young for that right now" LOL 

thebailiffs
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Never, I don't have one and I hope my son doesn't either, no need.

AuntieM
by Sister on May. 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I think 16 also. But I also don't think kids need cell phones until then either. At least not smart phones.

Quoting dana63:

Quoting GoddessJohnnie:

I saw a child that look like she was 8 or 9 and she had a page and she was posting pictures of herself. But someone made a point to me one day when they said that now days kids have smart phones at a young age and with that comes the internet..

daisy1015
by Sister on May. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I am a teacher and we have cyber bullying happening on a regular basis via facebook as early as 4th grade.  By 6th grade one class had every student with a facebook page!  We, the teachers, were shocked!  This is a lower middle to poor school too.

I say no sooner than 16 with monitoring, preferably as a priviledge at 18.   But...reality is I have little control as a parent. Kids don't need ID or a credit card or any form of proof of their age and can create emails and accounts without parent knowledge on a friends I Phone at school or the Apple computer store at the mall.  SOme kdis will have one supervised account at home and create another real unsupervised one the parents don't kow about.

It is very sad and scarey to me.

puritydoll
by Bronze sister on May. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My daughter had to do some SERIOUS persuading to get her Facebook page, she was 14 I think at the time.

I'm glad she has it since she and I communicate a lot with it, but I was thinking more like 15-16 as an OK age to have it. 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quoting daisy1015:

I am a teacher and we have cyber bullying happening on a regular basis via facebook as early as 4th grade.  By 6th grade one class had every student with a facebook page!  We, the teachers, were shocked!  This is a lower middle to poor school too.

I say no sooner than 16 with monitoring, preferably as a priviledge at 18.   But...reality is I have little control as a parent. Kids don't need ID or a credit card or any form of proof of their age and can create emails and accounts without parent knowledge on a friends I Phone at school or the Apple computer store at the mall.  SOme kdis will have one supervised account at home and create another real unsupervised one the parents don't kow about.

It is very sad and scarey to me.

You are so right because I saw a childs acct that I knew her age was not 27 and yet this is the age she gave (she was only 11) . I also know that they can get on at some school or a friends house and create an acct that mom and dad dont know about.. I had always monitored my kids accts and once my child was chatting on AOL at school and I found out and talked to the schol about it.

YOu are right we as parents have little control because the child WILL find a way if they want it bad enough!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)