Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is the best time to start exploring careers with your child

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 112 Total Views

My sons are 24 and 28. When they were younger I was always looking for ways to introduce different career options to them. I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for. Now that they have finished college and moved away, I still feel there is a need to help students explore careers. I am a CPA who wants to change careers and become a career coach. I have finished the career coach training. I want to work with middle school parents to let them know what tools are available to help them explore careers with their children. My thought is how would a child know they want to be a ________??? if they have not been exposed to it. Since most small businesses fail within the first five years. I want to get input from a lot of people to see if there is a need for such a service. I would offer two webinars for parents and one face to face career exploration event for parents and children. I really would appreciate your feedback.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on May. 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

we have talked to our children (18, 16, & 12) about life style.  What do they want their adult life to look like?  Do they want to travel, do they want to live in a certain area, do they want weekends off, week nights off, do they want to dress up/ dress down for work.  Do they want flexible hours, do they want to make their own hours.  We have talked about what jobs bring in what incomes.  We have discussed what classes they like vs. what they are good at.  We talked about what would allow for our daughter to work part time or take a few years off when she becomes a mom.  I think it is an on going conversation from the time they are little.... changing and becoming more specific as time goes on.

I have a daughter entering college in the fall and she still doesnt know what she wants for a career.  But the key is to keep moving forward.  She doenst know but she is continuing to move forward and close the gap.  My husband didnt choose a career path until his senior year in college.... and it was completely different from where he was when he entered college.

I agree guidance is good.... but I wouldnt nail them to one choice so young as middle school.  I dont think I would hire a counselor until college, or maybe mid way through college.

However there IS money to be made at that age for a private college counselor.  Helping the child get into the college of their choice.  We did use a private college counselor and think it was well worth the money.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on May. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I think part of the process is to see what they like, what their hobbies are and see if they can find a spot/career from those. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)