Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You...,...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 278 Total Views
1 mom liked this
Grocery Shop?
Every week
Every day
Every 2 weeks
1 x a month
As needed?
Do you use coupons, price match and compare
Write a shopping and menu list?
How many stores do you go to?
If you want to share what is the average you spend for your family size?
Im curious at what things cost across the country:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Red Room Rebel on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We shop as needed. I use a few coupons and do price match at Wal Mart. That is the primary place we shop because they price match. I make a list of items to be matched.... Only hubby and me at home. We spend around $300 a month and that includes personals... 

by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I make a weekly dinner menu, put that on a list then I add what I need to replace/buy on the list (fridays) then Saturdays I shop-once a week.  I use coupons and go to our local Krogers.  If we need stuff during the week (milk) I run to walmart up the street.  I spend about 120$ but I make hubby a lunch to take to work so he doesn't have to buy anything out...

by Chris on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I usually go grocery shopping either Friday night or real early Saturday morning, then I go to the store again on Tuesday. I rarely use coupons but I do go to Walmart, they price match. I am not working right now so I do budget, I downloaded Out Of Milk shopping list on my cell which I LOVE. It keeps track of the price of the item I purchase so when I get to checkout I know how much I am spending.

I try to keep the bill around $100.00, I usually end up spending between $80 to $140.00, depending on what I have to buy that week.  There is 4 of us 16DD, 18SS, DH and myself. DH wants a ham for Father's day so I already know I will be spending a little more this week.

by Anne on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I shop when we need it, I will use some coupons, rewards cards and a shopping list, we go do different shops for certain items and support the local smaller shops and I refuse to use the automatic registers , I prefer to see real people employed and able to earn a wage rather than unemployed and starving on the street

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Weekly with a menu in mind. NO coupons for me...I'm a clipper but forget them or can never find the item so I found that it was more of a waste of time. We live in a very small town that doesn't carry a lot of extra things.

by Silver sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I do one large load per week...usually on Wednesday afternoon.  Then on Friday morning I pick up anything I forgot (from a different store) as well as get stuff at the bakery and spice shop.

I shop with a list - we add to it every time we run out of something, and then as the weekend approaches, I add meals for Shabbat and the following week.

We are a family of 6.  Converted, we spend $180-$250 per week.

by Bronze sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM

family of 6.. I shop weekly but there are a few times I have to make a run for the basics.....  I have 2 choices for stores plus the dollar store, there is no price comparission, because both starts have the same prices from things.  the reason i do weekly is because we normally run out of produce by day 4 and I consider it one of the basic that I have load up on.  I might do a coupon here or there, but mostly I dont because we dont get them here. 

My weeklying spending is $100 to $150 and this is just food, no personal items, no dog or cat food, nothing but FOOD...

I dont do a menu, to hard, I have 2 kids that are picky so I have to keep some back up food for them.

by Manth on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I shop twice a week, even though I actually only go to the store once a week!  I do an Internet Shop which is delivered on Mondays.  It contains all the heavy stuff (like sodas and pet food) and also all the meat and frozen stuff since the truck is refrigerated and they have a freezer compartment for the frozen goods.  They all get delivered before 10 am on a Monday.  It costs me a bit more to do it this way, but since I don't drive for medical reasons it makes sense to get it delivered.

On Fridays I get DH to drop me off at the store on his way to work.  There I pick up fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh breads and other baked goods and anything I might have run out of since Monday.  I also visit the pharmacy and pick up any meds I am about to run out of.  I have a small wheeled cart that I put it all into and walk home (it takes me about 20 minutes) pushing my goodies. 

For our family of four, I generally spend around $300 - $350 a week spread over my two shopping trips.

by Wild Woman on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I shop every 7-10 days, we are a family of 3.
Our town has a lot of store choices. I price match, take my coupon binder, clipboard with my list and the ads. I buy my meat at one certain store...fruits/veggies at another unless i price match. A lot of the paper goods at Walmart or Target... all of the stores are within 10 minutes. Depending on my list and menus and if i find things i can stock up on we spend from 150-250..... yesterday was more, our butcher had ground beef at 2.29 lb. milk is always 1.99 a gallon somewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM
We do one big shop once a week, but one of us is always running into the store for something...
We only use coupons if the coupon is for an item we actually use, I will price match (one of our favorite local stores will price match)
I write a list but no menu
Usually just one, sometimes two or three, we go where the deals are
There are 3 of us plus 4 dogs, our average is about $125-$160
Expensive I tell ya,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)