Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

If one more person calls me Grandma.....!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 30 Replies
  • 558 Total Views

Hi. I'm new here.

I am 43 and my son is 5. Seems like everywhere we go, someone refers to me as his grandma. I am not grey, and am told I look younger than I am. I'm getting tired of politely correcting people!!!

Anyone encounter this also? Advice?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM
My partner is 46 & DD is 6yo. I'm about to turn 43. People assume i am mom & that my partner is grandma. It sucks. I'm so sorry!
crazymom729
by Cajun Witch (dealer) on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

First off welcome to the group.  Second, I really don't have any advice because, I'm the opposite.  I'm 46 with a 21 month old granddaughter.  Most people tell me my daughter is so cute...I politely correct them and let them know it's my granddaughter.  Plenty of moms here in your situation though....they will speak up.

GE1
by Bronze sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yup! I am 46 at the end of the month and DS is 17 months. I also have always looked young and I remember the first time someone asked I was very hurt but at this point I just let it go. It is not worth getting upset over. Sometimes I just ignore it

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM
3 moms liked this

hugs... I'd just say "well when I become one I'll let ya know"... :)

JKronrod
by Sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Yep.  I'm 52 with a 6-year-old son. There are a lot of older moms where I live, and most people who I see on a weekly basis were there when I was pregnant, so I don't get it a lot, but it's so annoying when I go elsewhere.   (I hope I don't look THAT old.)   And it's not even a QUESTION with some people.  It's just "oh, your grandson is so cute."  Grrrrr.  What was even worse, though, was when I went with our oldest son, who is now 20, to the hospital.  (Our older one needed to be checked for some back issues.)  I brought the baby, and they assumed our oldest son was the father, and I was grandma!  The oldest was only 14 for Pete's sake!

Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I think I'd have to stare wide eyed " you see my grandchildren??? What do they look like?"
Bekki
by New sister on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

This happened to me when I was in the hospital for surgery. Ok, I looked awful, but the young nurse aide thought I was married to my dad, and my husband was our son, and my son was my grandson! She seemed shocked when I straightened that out!

Quoting JKronrod:

Yep.  I'm 52 with a 6-year-old son. There are a lot of older moms where I live, and most people who I see on a weekly basis were there when I was pregnant, so I don't get it a lot, but it's so annoying when I go elsewhere.   (I hope I don't look THAT old.)   And it's not even a QUESTION with some people.  It's just "oh, your grandson is so cute."  Grrrrr.  What was even worse, though, was when I went with our oldest son, who is now 20, to the hospital.  (Our older one needed to be checked for some back issues.)  I brought the baby, and they assumed our oldest son was the father, and I was grandma!  The oldest was only 14 for Pete's sake!

stayathome510
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an almost 7, a 5 1/2 yr, and a 4 yr. old and one lady asked me if I was their grandma, while I was at the grocery checkout....I replied, "If I was their grandma, there is no way in tarnation I would voluntarily take them grocery shopping with me!"haha

I get that all the time too.  I guess it is more common to see women our age with their grandkids than their own children.  I often see teen mom's and baby with grandma's our age, out and about together....sign of the times, don't take it personally.  As you say, you don't look that old, its just that there aren't a whole lot of women in their 40's still having children.

firelites
by Anne on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

welcome to the group

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Welcome to our group! I am so sorry, I have no advice for you! People need to be more sensitive as you never know about a person's age, and when they had their child. Lots of great ladies here. Enjoy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)