Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If one more person calls me Grandma.....!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi. I'm new here.

I am 43 and my son is 5. Seems like everywhere we go, someone refers to me as his grandma. I am not grey, and am told I look younger than I am. I'm getting tired of politely correcting people!!!

Anyone encounter this also? Advice?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
rzmamma
by Sharon on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Some people just suck! Sorry this is happening to you. If someone isn't sure they shouldn't say anything at all. I haven't had this happen (yet) and my youngest are almost 3 and 1 (I'm 43) but I also look young for my age. However, I did have the opposite happen. My oldest is 21 and I had him when I was 22. When he was younger people always assumed that I was the older sister or babysitter. It used to aggravate the hell out of me. Once, I overheard a couple of older men saying what a shame it is about kids these days...babies having babies lol!!  

Micawife
by Silver sister on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Same boat, my DSs friends all thought I was his grandma...he is 14 and I am 52. Have no advice for you, I just grin and bear it and hope thats the worst they think of me :)

JKronrod
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Okay, that's worse, LOL.   

Quoting Bekki:

This happened to me when I was in the hospital for surgery. Ok, I looked awful, but the young nurse aide thought I was married to my dad, and my husband was our son, and my son was my grandson! She seemed shocked when I straightened that out!

Quoting JKronrod:

Yep.  I'm 52 with a 6-year-old son. There are a lot of older moms where I live, and most people who I see on a weekly basis were there when I was pregnant, so I don't get it a lot, but it's so annoying when I go elsewhere.   (I hope I don't look THAT old.)   And it's not even a QUESTION with some people.  It's just "oh, your grandson is so cute."  Grrrrr.  What was even worse, though, was when I went with our oldest son, who is now 20, to the hospital.  (Our older one needed to be checked for some back issues.)  I brought the baby, and they assumed our oldest son was the father, and I was grandma!  The oldest was only 14 for Pete's sake!

sissy502
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I'm 45 & adopting a baby.... it happens to me all the time.

By youngest bio-child is 18 & when we go out in public people think my baby belongs to my daughter. 

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Now that the kids are grown I haven't heard a thing lol....when they were little the only thing they said to me was 'they are ALL yours' lmaoooo

dalbax2
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My youngest son is almost 26.  I do have gray hair BUT I certainly don't look old enough to be his grandmother.  However, there have been many times when that comment has been made.    I just laugh it off because when I tell them the difference they are all embarassed and full of apologies....lol.

newlife2013
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Sometimes everyone should take a moment before they say something because you never know if you make a mistake, when I'm unsure I just say the child is cute.
looneymom424
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I get called Stacy's mom all the time not because of my looks but because of the way I am so silly with her...I am young at heart...

PinkDragonFly
Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.
56 minutes ago
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM

welcome to the group. 

TXCatLady
by Sister on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I am right there with you...my son is 4 and people sometimes think I am his grandmother

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN