Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

If one more person calls me Grandma.....!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi. I'm new here.

I am 43 and my son is 5. Seems like everywhere we go, someone refers to me as his grandma. I am not grey, and am told I look younger than I am. I'm getting tired of politely correcting people!!!

Anyone encounter this also? Advice?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
rzmamma
by Sharon on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Some people just suck! Sorry this is happening to you. If someone isn't sure they shouldn't say anything at all. I haven't had this happen (yet) and my youngest are almost 3 and 1 (I'm 43) but I also look young for my age. However, I did have the opposite happen. My oldest is 21 and I had him when I was 22. When he was younger people always assumed that I was the older sister or babysitter. It used to aggravate the hell out of me. Once, I overheard a couple of older men saying what a shame it is about kids these days...babies having babies lol!!  

Micawife
by Bronze sister on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Same boat, my DSs friends all thought I was his grandma...he is 14 and I am 52. Have no advice for you, I just grin and bear it and hope thats the worst they think of me :)

JKronrod
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Okay, that's worse, LOL.   

Quoting Bekki:

This happened to me when I was in the hospital for surgery. Ok, I looked awful, but the young nurse aide thought I was married to my dad, and my husband was our son, and my son was my grandson! She seemed shocked when I straightened that out!

Quoting JKronrod:

Yep.  I'm 52 with a 6-year-old son. There are a lot of older moms where I live, and most people who I see on a weekly basis were there when I was pregnant, so I don't get it a lot, but it's so annoying when I go elsewhere.   (I hope I don't look THAT old.)   And it's not even a QUESTION with some people.  It's just "oh, your grandson is so cute."  Grrrrr.  What was even worse, though, was when I went with our oldest son, who is now 20, to the hospital.  (Our older one needed to be checked for some back issues.)  I brought the baby, and they assumed our oldest son was the father, and I was grandma!  The oldest was only 14 for Pete's sake!

sissy502
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I'm 45 & adopting a baby.... it happens to me all the time.

By youngest bio-child is 18 & when we go out in public people think my baby belongs to my daughter. 

hau_siyoka
Sophia curly top lol
Yesterday at 2:30 PM
by Doll Baby on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Now that the kids are grown I haven't heard a thing lol....when they were little the only thing they said to me was 'they are ALL yours' lmaoooo

dalbax2
by Sister on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My youngest son is almost 26.  I do have gray hair BUT I certainly don't look old enough to be his grandmother.  However, there have been many times when that comment has been made.    I just laugh it off because when I tell them the difference they are all embarassed and full of apologies....lol.

newlife2013
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Sometimes everyone should take a moment before they say something because you never know if you make a mistake, when I'm unsure I just say the child is cute.
looneymom424
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I get called Stacy's mom all the time not because of my looks but because of the way I am so silly with her...I am young at heart...

PinkDragonFly
by Shazzy on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM

welcome to the group. 

TXCatLady
by Sister on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I am right there with you...my son is 4 and people sometimes think I am his grandmother

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)