Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have little to do in your town? Would you move for more?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

Saturday night DH and I had nothing to do. We ended up renting a movie, which put me to sleep. DH said he thinks when my daughter gets through school we should move to the city where there are restaurants and things going on to do all the time. Right now we live 45 minutes from that in a small town that has nothing but a movie theater and a few chain restaurants. I don't know what people our age (high school kids and beyond) do every night. We go eat with friends on Friday night so all that bunch disperses on Saturday night.  Especially those with no kids left at home. I get tired of feeling like I should be our cruise director too. I said we could go to the city Saturday night if he wanted, but then he said "Well, where would you want to go eat?" I said "I don't know, where do YOU want to go?" He said, "I don't care." Then he said he'd just go to the store and pick up a movie.

I'd be perfectly happy moving away from here, I have no attachment to this area but don't want to get my hopes up because my husband is very attached (at least I think). He talks a lot about things like that which probably won't happen! Do you and your DH get bored at this stage in your lives or do you enjoy just chilling at home with tv?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver sister on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We used to live in a little town, but had no problem driving an hour to go out to dinner or shopping. Small towns have their benefits. that was before kids though. We didn't stay because everyone knew everyone's business, and most people were related thats why we moved. Now we keep a cabin in that town for skiing and summer activities.

we moved to a suburb, about 50,000 people, no 24 hour restaurants but we like it. About 1.5 hours to a large metro city.

by Bronze sister on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes, we don't mind driving there for dinner and shopping, but to do anything late is a pain to drive home. Or, it's a long way to drive if you don't know ahead of time exactly what you are doing. I agree about people knowing your business too!!

by Wild Woman on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Hubby and I have been married 36 years! And yes we do get bored from time to time. We live in a city of about 160,000 it is a college town, there is a lot to do here for young... old and in between, all year long. We a hour from Denver so we go there often. My dh will say lets go to dinner, ok, then he will say where do you want to go? I tell him it was your idea you choose:) :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We live a 40 minute drive from the closest movie theatre and no chain restaurants and nothing open after 8 but Mcdonalds...

We love it! The focus is on the kids and community. The churches are full and have many activities. The school provides activities. Yes everyone knows everything and that keeps my kids safe because I will Know if they are up to no good lol!.

We lived in Charlotte NC  metro for many years and so glad to be out of there. We dont lock our doors and I know who and where my boys are and that those people they are with have the same values we do.

If DH and I want more we can drive into the city.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

oh lordy there is a LOT to do in this town...some we've not even done lol... I would rather live in a town like yours...wanna trade?!

by Red Room Rebel on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Not tons to do in our town. But we don't do much. I will never move just to have a night life... i am perfectly content on hanging around the house on Saturday night. I don't like being out with all the traffic and crazy people...

by Sue on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Even though I live in a city, it is a very conservative, backwards, aging city in many respects. I would consider moving for many reasons if the opportunity presented itself and the move was good for Hannah. Entertainment cannot be my primary reason; Hannah is and will remain my first priority until she is through school.

by Ash on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We live in a small town, but the city life isn't very far if we want it. i have anxiety, so I don't mind just staying at home. I though I wasn't gonna like it here when we moved here 5 years ago, but I do.

by Sister on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My BF lives near Chicago and there is always something fun to do with or without children. I however live 5 hours south of him and he spends a majority of the time driving down to stay with me. I live in a small town. We don't even have a movie theater. We enjoy visiting wineries which there are an abundance of within driving distance. But that's about it. My family is all here, but I would not have a problem moving away. Actually that is what we eventually plan on doing.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I have lived in a small town for my whole life even though I'm only 24 turning 25 this September, but My husband and I love where we live, we actually live out side city limits, in the country. Our town isn't very big, but does have small "mom & pop" cafes, and restaurants, etc. The next closest town which has malls Walmart's etc is 30-40 minutes away, but we could never live there unless forced to live in town. But again that's just us lol, we love living out in the country, but have discussed when we're older maybe moving a bit closer into town in case we need quick medical assistance.

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)