Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

How to beat the heat...

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

I dont know about you all but we will be seeing 100 degree heat this week (that is not including heat index) and so we have to find ways to beat the heat and at the same time make sure our children are not affected.

What I do is have my child play outside before 2 PM (between 2-6) is usually the hottest times and then after 6 since here it dont get dark until after 8. I also went and bought a cheap patio umbella and put on my deck (it dont have any protection from the sun) and place it out and make sure its close to the house and yet enough that if my child is out she will have shade. I also make sure my outdoor animal water is in a shaded area as well.. I keep water on hand for my child and myself so we can stay hydrated. I also have water toys so we can beat the heat with some water fun.

Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.. Keep your ice water with you if you have to be out. SODA does NOT rehydrate you it only dehydrates you when you are in the heat and sweating, you have to replace water (sweat) with water. Also take a wet rag with you to wipe your face and neck to help keep your body core temp down. Wear a hat, and sunscreen for skin protection. If you should get out there and get sunburn simply place aloe on it or if you dont have aloe what I do is bath in milk (it soothes and makes your skin feel so much better) and I sleep on a white cotton sheet (not sure why white but it seems to draw out the burn).

How do you beat the heat?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Another good idea for critters is to get a big bowl, fill it with water and freeze it...as it melts they'll get cold water to drink...we did that one year for our doggy...

water fights w/ballons or those blasters keeps the kiddos busy/cool too...

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting starlight1968:

Another good idea for critters is to get a big bowl, fill it with water and freeze it...as it melts they'll get cold water to drink...we did that one year for our doggy...

water fights w/ballons or those blasters keeps the kiddos busy/cool too...

I put water in the freezer to freeze for the dog water dish inside and out.. I also freeze yogurt for them as a treat.. Never forget the fur babies in this heat...

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I'll have to bump this in case summer ever arrives ,and I hope it does, because Han starts swimming lessons next week, and I'd hate to put her through them if it's cold and/or rainy. Every time I drive by the local pool I feel sorry for the kids and the lifeguards who have to tough it out in this weather, and they can't just postpone the lessons because every class is full. I'm lucky I was able to get Han into a class at all, and it's crazy because she even has a lesson on the 4th of July!

terri-553
by Terri on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Starting tomorrow Roy says we are going to be 107 by Saturday.And this is end of June,Thomas(g/son)Taylor(g/daughter)when she is here,we lock up the house and turn on all air units/stay inside,Keep the outside dogs full of water.as they stay on the porch,just drink alot of water/stay inside,Texas is going to be hot this summer

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I hope it won't be a long one tho!  We put new strips around our door this weekend and are going to get some stuff to cover the one patio door in our bedroom we don't use to try to help keep cold air IN and hot air OUT... ugh...

Quoting terri-553:

Starting tomorrow Roy says we are going to be 107 by Saturday.And this is end of June,Thomas(g/son)Taylor(g/daughter)when she is here,we lock up the house and turn on all air units/stay inside,Keep the outside dogs full of water.as they stay on the porch,just drink alot of water/stay inside,Texas is going to be hot this summer

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

It's going to be another stormy day (which is fine, since Han and I are going to see a movie after I get off work), but it looks like we're in for some very warm weather by the end of the week!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Beat this heat....

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Sweating just thinking about it Dana, and I know you have th humidity as well. At least where I live, when it gets hot the air is dry. It's crazy though because I ran the AC for a week in May when it was unseasonably warm so the girls weren't dying upstairs, but now I've switched back to running the furnace. I won't mind the warmer weather. We're overdue, though with a half-marathon coming up July 6 I'd prefer it to be more on the chilly side. If it were a triathlon, though, I'd want the warmth because of the swim. I know...there's no pleasing some people lol!
Quoting dana63:

Beat this heat....

Carmen66
by Hot Latina on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:38 AM

i drink alot of water with lemon and eat fruits to beat this heat. I cant be in the sun too long, yesterday my blood pressure rose and i had a headache all night.

Brooklynchic
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Wow Texas is hot!!!! Lol. Suppose to hit 90 today here in my.. Those all are great tips... Boys last day of school is tomorrow ..we always freeze water the night before so when we go out it stays cold for. Awhile. Joey tends to overheat quick so I watch out for him ..dip in the pool. Or grab a hose and cool off !!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN