Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

sons get their intelligence from their mothers

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 531 Total Views

new study out says so! 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/brainy-sons-owe-intelligence-to-their-mothers-1339099.html

So what do you think of that? What would your husand say about that?  Your son say?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My son gave me a side ways look and said, are you sure about that.  LMBO.  

Hubs is a very intelligent man, and my son is very much like him.  Not that my son was calling me dumb... but I think he views his dad as more intelligent.  His dad is more schooled, and has an incredible capacity for retention, remembering the silliest of details.  But that doesnt necessarily mean he is innately more intelligent than I am.  But either way, the ensuing conversation I had with my son was very funny.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My hubby tells me that all the time. I think hubby doesn't give himself nearly enough credit. But he insists ds gets his "book smarts", as hubby calls it, from me.

puritydoll
by Bronze sister on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

three cheers for the x chromosome!

arthistmom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM

So intelligence, according to this study, is determined by nature only and nurture has nothing to do with it?

dayskitty
by Bronze sister on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM

That explains why my son is so smart!!LOL

Ziva65
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM

haha- I agree, and I think my son would too :) Love hubby, but I'd agree with the study. We both have high degrees, but I love to study, love to read, love to learn and analyze things...so does our son

Our oldest son has the best of both of us. Dad is very much a people person, far more compassionate and kind than I am, and great talker, he's a great public speaker- all those things he got from his dad- the kids at his high school want him to run for President of the United States, cracks me up. THAT he didn't get from me :)

Ok, now thinking about it, my daughter is super smart too, where'd she get that... and my other sons, well, so so students- high IQ's though, but very technically oriented... where'd that come from? :)

Maybe it's a first born high achiever thing? As I think about it, I think I'd like to see the other factors in the study... were most first borns? What about sisters?

haha so is it like baldness? they get that from the moms side too I thought!

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I havent read the study... but I would think they mean innate intelligence.  How you choose to use it, your drive, your determination, your resources, etc might not be genetically determined.

I would imagine if two sons were born to the same mother (assuming equal intelligence) one raised to embrace school, raised with high expectations, raised in a loving and encouraging environment would do much better than a son who was raised in an environment that was lazy, slothy, and didnt put a premium on education.  Kwim?

Quoting arthistmom:

So intelligence, according to this study, is determined by nature only and nurture has nothing to do with it?

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Ray thinks the study is BS. I read the whole thing to him. He feels that Kevin got his intelligence from him!! I'm really kinda hurt;( (Not because of the article)

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM

BUMP!

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM

you read the article I posted or the actual study?

Quoting Mariagma3:

Ray thinks the study is BS. I read the whole thing to him. He feels that Kevin got his intelligence from him!! I'm really kinda hurt;( (Not because of the article)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)