Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Teens becoming adults **Update**

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

My oldest son is on his way back from DisneyWorld.  It's been a week since he left and boy have I missed him and cannot wait to see him.  I was telling my husband that I hope this small taste of freedom will inspire him to want to get a job and become more independent ~  He just graduated high school, so I am in no big hurry for him to move out ~ yet isn't it our goal as parents to raise our kids to take care of themselves?  So I find myself in an emotional quandry....wanting him to spread his wings and at the same time wanting to clip those wings so he'll stay home...But I have always been good at keeping my mommy desires in check and encouraging him to grow...

We're giving him 24 hours to rest then he's got to get on line and start his registration for this fall for community college and start looking for a part time job!

** He's HOME!  and rather than sleeping in today like I thought he would he was up fairly early around 9 getting his laundry done.  His younger brother was called in for an interview for job (pretty sure he has the job, just one more interview) and so he decided to get on it.  He's applied for 5 jobs and is right now working on gettng his account set up for him to take the entrance test to the local community college.  AND BOTH OF THEM DID ALL THIS ON THEIR OWN.  I haven't even nagged them about it.  I am so excited for them (and my pocket book, if they have jobs they have their own $$$)...and I am proud of both my boys!  **

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Hugz Mama... 

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

hugs.. this was a good test then..he made it through and in one piece!

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM

yep, mixed emotions.

bhow
by Silver sister on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

It sucks!  My 15 year old has been saving for a car since 5th grade!!  She has close to 2500 and has her daddy talked into matching her.  She has her whole life planned, when I can't even tell you what I'm doing today!  It's amazing how much more brave they are then what I remember me and my friends being at her age.

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Same thing here, just no trip to the happiest place on earth for my dd! We are awaiting her health record to be delivered to her college so we can plan her schedule for the fall! All she seem to do is sit in her room ( she isnt depressed, i just think she is in limbo cause if she gets a job now i am not sure how that will be with her school, she is the type that needs to put all her attention on one thing) i hope we can manuever through this section of our kids lives! I will keep reading your posts on this for insight! Thank u and hugs
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I agree. It is our job to get them to fly. I'm finding it's not so easy with my two!

browneyedbitty
by Bronze sister on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hugs momma! I struggle with the same emotions with my 19 yo
debj49
by Sister on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM
As a mom that has been through this 4 times and getting ready for the 5th and next year the 6th and 7th. Then 2 years later the last one. I still have the same feelings when it comes down to letting go, I don't want to. I want them to spread their wings and fly telling myself when the last one leaves I will be free to do what I want to do, but when that time comes it's hard to watch them go. You will always be concerned for them even when they have children of their own. It's just a mothers nature. It the knowing when to intervene and when not to intervene that is hard. The hardest of all is when to say no. But we survive and so do they.
mom1T2Ldh
by Bronze sister on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

just don't push to hard you don't want to lose him totally.you gotta do what is best for you and the family and try not to worry just trust that He will be alright cause that's the way you both raised him to be independent

babynurse454
by Wild Woman on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Sounds like a good plan ! No matter how well we teach them,,it is hard to watch our little ones leave the nest and get wings:-) :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)