I was reading an article about a young man that died in a house fire. The fire was started by his overheated laptop on his bed. Apparently he had been using his laptop and had fallen asleep with it still sitting on the bed. The article indicated that he died from carbon monoxide poisoning so therefore had no chance of escaping the fire.
What happens is that when your laptop is sitting on your bed, it gets no air flow and overheats. If you must use your laptop while in bed, please get a riser and maybe even an extra fan for it. It has to have airflow for the fan to work correctly. Please don't let this happen to you or a family member.