Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

What's the right or best answer?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 381 Total Views

I have an interview for a job I would love to get.  I seem to choke at some of the questions asked during the interviews.  How do you answer  "why should we hire you over all the other applicants?" 

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM
3 moms liked this

I always go by my strengths when answering this question. I usually tell them that while I may not know every aspect of the position, I have the desire and willingness to learn what I don't know. I feel my strength is being universal and flexible. I would end by saying that I want to make this company proud of it's choice in hiring me and will do my very best to show how appreciative I am in having the opportunity to work for you.

Really these questions should not be taken literal (IMO.) They want you to stand out amoung everyone else. I don't know what the position is...but this sort of response can be generic yet insightful.

abecee
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Thank you for this. I like it.

Quoting Maida265:

I always go by my strengths when answering this question. I usually tell them that while I may not know every aspect of the position, I have the desire and willingness to learn what I don't know. I feel my strength is being universal and flexible. I would end by saying that I want to make this company proud of it's choice in hiring me and will do my very best to show how appreciative I am in having the opportunity to work for you.

Really these questions should not be taken literal (IMO.) They want you to stand out amoung everyone else. I don't know what the position is...but this sort of response can be generic yet insightful.

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, I suppose it all depends on the people involved in the interview. The last one I went on, for the job I have now, there were 3 ladies and we were sitting there talking and really having a greand old time. Very comfortable. They asked me this same question and my response was, simple, because I'm better then them! And they hired me... lol

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

BL...you have a point. I think it really does have to do with the atmosphere of the interview. If it's relaxed then be relaxed and say the first thing that pops into your mind. If you are met with some stuffed shirts...well...get your hip boots on and begin slinging some bull (if you really want the job!)

tvschiulaz
by Bronze sister on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I am currently looking for work myself and am taking a coaching class, provided by my ex employer.  I was actually told that before you go into an interview, you must think about what YOU can offer the employer.  The job description is what they are having trouble doing at the time, so they are looking for osmoene to fix their "hole."  So when asked this question, answer it confidently and showcase your strengths, according to what the job description states.  I never thought about this in the past, but it makes sense if you think about it.

fern624
by Silver sister on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Have confidence in yourself to say: I feel conidence that i can do the job..., You can count on me to get the job done..., I'm very interested in the job you have open... There are many other things you can say just say themwith confidence...

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I say you go in there do your homework first, find out background and strengths and any weakmess ( maybe there sales are down or read what ppl say about them online and say here is one of my strengths and show them how you would turn this around! Look em right in the eye! I always get the interview ? Of tell me a story or what is a weakness you have! Best of luck, hugs
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

All of these are very good answers...

looneymom424
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I am no help I never give a good answer

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

At an interview for a teaching position a team of five or six people were taking turns asking me questions. They were ready to hire me. I knew that. The last thing they asked me, though, ruined the interview. Because they didn't really want me to give them an honest answer. As it turned out, I didn't get the job.

So if it seems to be going in your favor, and you want the job, consider sucking up any "real" and genuine feelings and opinions - about anything. Even if they come right out and ask for your honest opinion. Which these people did. They might be trying to route out digergent thinking that doesn't agree straight up with theirs.

I felt grateful later, though.  It wouldn't have been a good match. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN