Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Debate question: 7/16 (warning)

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 696 Total Views

I know everyone has a different opinion about the Martin/Zimmerman trial and while most say Zimmerman is guilty and should be behind bars there are other who say he isn't guilty. Listening to the news this has turned racial and not what really happen. A young man was walking late at night and was shot and killed.. Some say self defense and others say he was stalked and killed. Civil Right leaders including our President and our Attorney General appointed is involved and instead of saying "enough" they are promoting the case as racial. This has promoted communities to be afraid as there are riots and killing and these men and woman yelling "Justice for Trayvon" as they run away. Neighbourhood watch cars are being vandalized and there are many break in around malls and "white" own businesses and arson sweeping in different neighbourhoods as well.

This reminds me of the 1992 riots in LA when the police officers were acquitted of the beating of Rodney King and the riots were dangerous and out of control with many lives taken and millions of dollars in property destroyed.

Should the media and the civil right leaders be involved in this one case? Could this new division as it is being said cause more riots and promote more destruction than expected because the individuals doing this wants justice but also feel they will get away with the crime?

Thoughts?

*** This is NOT a bash post on Zimmerman or Trayvon it is a post asking if riots can be avoided and your opinion on their involvement** No bashing any sister for their opinion as ALL opinions matter..

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carmen66
by Carmen - Hot Latina on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM
5 moms liked this
I think the media should leave it alone, they should leave the families alone. I believe they are adding fuel to the fire.
triplets0718
by Sister on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

So, here's my opinion. The media and others who shouldn't be involved have put themselves in it for no reason. On the Indianapolis TV station the other night, they showed a small portion of a sermon at one of the churches in downtown Indy. (I think the preacher is one of the community preachers who walk the streets at night, looking to keep teens from getting in trouble). He said what he doens't understand is why people aren't outraged more by the seventy something people who were killed in Indy lately. And why hasn't that gotten more media attention?? Why hasn't it been plastered all over the news that there were 75 people killed in Chicago over the 4th of July holiday weekend alone?? In his opinion,  he said until people start caring about their own race killing each other, how do you expect other races to care? I have to agree with him

Brooklynchic
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM

no i dont think the media and civil rights leaders should be involved.. now look whats happening.. all it does is cause more chaos and sadly more  tragedy....

its done.. do i agree with the verdict, no i dont   but this wont be the first virdict i dont agree with and im sure it wont be the last...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I am sick of the media creating so much hype about stories for their own ratings, yet they don't seem to have any consequences for their actions.

I live in a neighborhood that has some unsavory characters passing through. If they look suspicious, I either go out and walk my dogs to give them the idea it is time to move on, and sometimes I call the police to drive by and check them out. Never, ever would I get in my car and follow someone to confront them with a gun, and especially a kid of any color. Like Zimmerman, I have mixed blood as I am also American Indian. It would never be about race if I told one of these lurkers to move on, but I'm sure it could be perceived that way if something were to go bad with a confrontation. Our President and his administration needs to respect the justice system of Florida and stay the hell out of this.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Having bi racial children there was many times when they were growing up that they were subject to racial slurs. The sad part is no civil leader step in when my one son was told if he fought with three white boys it would be a gang fight (1 against 3 really???) and if they start it it would just be a fight. I had to step in and have a lawyer on call and threats to the school.

I think the media is doing more harm than good.. I am sorry but we have more pressing matters like our Nation children going homeless and education levels are dropping. Our health care is suffering because most cant afford to go to the dr. and we are seeing more death and destruction. I am sorry but the media need to leave it alone!!!

rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Two new law suits can come out of the verdict, a Civil suit or a Civil rights suit. Saying that Zimmerman was profiling this teen will be, in my opinion hard to prove. However a wrongful death suit will be easy to win.

Regarding the media and our illustrious president stepping into something he really needs to steer clear of (in my opinion of course) we have many things going on in the world that definitely need more attention.

However, we as individuals love something that we can get a sink hold on that provokes our emotions, and the media saw that in this case and ran with all the way to the bank.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, because of the media and Civil Rights Groups involvement, the Martin parents will never know the whole truth behind the death of their son. It has been blown all out of proportion and the real facts got lost.... Two people were there, and one is dead. That is what the case should have been based on. Nothing else!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
A local white guy was beat up yesterday minding his own business. As he got beat up they were shouting justice for Trayvon. He has a concussion and broken arm. These people are nothing but troublemaker thugs. Trayvon was on top bashing Zimmerman so he had self defense right to shoot him. The facts were presented and the right verdict wasw made.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM
The feds have been looking at the case for 18 months and never filed any civil rights charges yet. This should have never come to trial at all really.

Quoting rosebud727:

Two new law suits can come out of the verdict, a Civil suit or a Civil rights suit. Saying that Zimmerman was profiling this teen will be, in my opinion hard to prove. However a wrongful death suit will be easy to win.

Regarding the media and our illustrious president stepping into something he really needs to steer clear of (in my opinion of course) we have many things going on in the world that definitely need more attention.

However, we as individuals love something that we can get a sink hold on that provokes our emotions, and the media saw that in this case and ran with all the way to the bank.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I disagree with your statement, this is a case of manslaughter, imo.

Quoting atlmom2:

The feds have been looking at the case for 18 months and never filed any civil rights charges yet. This should have never come to trial at all really.

Quoting rosebud727:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)