Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question: 7/17

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

I saw on the news today that Rolling Stone Magazine put the Boston bomber suspect on the cover and it is creating outrage. Why on earth would a rock magazine place a man who killed and wounded many? I have always thought it was a magazine in tribute to our greatest rock and roll artist and legends but this is way over the top.

Here is the article:

New York (CNN) -- Rolling Stone magazine's decision to put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the accused Boston Marathon bomber, on the cover of its latest issue has ignited a firestorm of outrage online.

The cover picture is one that Tsarnaev himself posted online and has been published widely by other media outlets in the past.

But many took exception to its prominent play in Rolling Stone, where the space is more often than not reserved for rock stars and celebrities.

"Oh look, Rolling Stone magazine is glamourizing terrorism. Awesome," Adrienne Graham commented on the magazine's Facebook page. "I will NOT be buying this issue, or any future issues.

Words such as "tasteless," "sickening" and "disgusting" flew around social media.

The photo shows a scraggy-haired, goatee-d Tsarnaev staring straight at the camera.

The text read: "The Bomber. How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster."

The magazine says the article itself is a deeply-researched account of the suspect.

Among the revelations:

-- A public plea from his former wrestling coach may have ultimately convinced Tsarnaev to surrender when police surrounded the boat in which he was hiding.

-- He played down the fact that he was a Muslim in high school. But he also took his religion seriously.

-- He once let slip to a friend that the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks could be justified because of U.S. policies toward Muslim countries.

The issue hits newsstands on August 3.

But the magazine's Facebook post of the cover image has received more than 4,700 comments by early Wednesday morning.

"What a slap in the face to the great city of Boston and the Marathon Bombing victims," commented Lindsey Williamson.

The cover also brought out comments from the "Free Jahar" movement. (Dzohkhar is also spelled Jahar.)

"#BoycottRollingStone calling Djahar a monster and stirring the pot even more shame on you! Innocent until PROVEN guilty," tweeted @Jahars_Tsarnaev.

CNN has reached out to Rolling Stone for comment, but has not received a response.

Authorities accuse brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev of setting off a pair of bombs just seconds apart near the finish line of the packed Boston Marathon course on Boylston Street on April 15.

Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed four days later in a shootout with police.

Younger brother Dzhokhar was captured and charged with 30 federal counts stemming from the attack.

Last week, he pleaded not guilty to the charges.

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I want to start this discussion because when I saw it on the news this morning I was outraged. How can a magazine disrespect Boston like this?? I am mad beyond words and hope that this issue will sit on the shelves but I have a feeling there will be many bought..

SMH~~ What were they thinking??

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
This is disgusting!!!! Rolling stone just went to hell in a hand basket!
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

More media sensationalism and anything to make money. Shame on them for their disrespect and glorifying a young man with intent on doing harm to innocent people. Hope like hell this doesn't encourage more young men in his demographic to act out in a similar violent way. What in the hell could Rolling Stone be thinking?

FlyingMommy747
by Bronze sister on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I guess they are using bad taste to sell magazines.  I hope it backfires on them!!!

daisybelle1960
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
They should be ashamed! Disgusting!
Brooklynchic
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

wtf is wrong with these people... you put that piece of crap on the cover?? there goes that magazine!!!! 

looneymom424
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I think it is disgusting putting his face on the magazine...like they are promoting hurt and dispair to the families

lucky2Beeme
by Silver sister on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Look how much interest that cover has sparked. We are talking about and so is everyone else that saw it. While I don't agree with putting him on the cover . I bet sales have jumped tremendously. Smart cover from a sales standpoint.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
This makes me furious. It glamorizes the actions of a terrorist! It was an extremely bad call by their editors!
cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

It's news. In bad taste, yes. Should of done it, in my opinion, No. But it's the publishers call (or owner).  let's see what happens next.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)