Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you have done it? or would you be mad had I done it to your kid?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 457 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My 12 yr old daughter was mortified at what I did.

We were driving in the parking lot of a strip mall when two little boys rode their razors right in front of my car.  They were coming off one curb, crossing the drive, and going up onto another curb.  They didntstop nor did they look both ways.... they just went.  I slammed on my breaks, said a couple choice words, and started to shake... it scared the poop out of me!!!

Once we parked the car, I walked my daughter to her hair appointment and excused myself so I could go find the boys.  I found them in the grocery store getting the free cookie samples.  I walked up and introduced my self.

"hello boys Im mrs. _____" I stuck out my hand to shake.

They very politely each took a turns shaking my hand and introducing themselves.  They were the sweetest looking boys... I would guess about 1st grade and 5th grade.

"Imthe woman that almost hit you with my car"

The youngest one immediately apologized and saidthey forgot to look bothways.  I reminded him that they needed to also come to a complete stop to look bothways.  I stuck out my hand and showed them how it was still shaking and told them how badly it scared me.  Not because I thought I might hurt my car, or because I thought I might get in trouble but because I might have hurt them.  I told them I was a mom and I would be so sad to have my child hurt.  I asked them if they could imagine how sad their mom would be if a police man or fireman had to call her and tell her that her boys were in the hospital because they got hit by a car.  How she would probably just break down and cry because she was so sad and scared.

I do realize I was being a bit heavy handed but Im telling you these kids didnt slow down for a second when they entered the street.  Had it been a teenager, or older person with slower reflexes..... this would be a different post.

I made them promise, with a hand shake, that they would never do that again.

soooo.... would you have done what I did or would you be upset with me if you were there mom?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you! I would have done that also! Kids nowadays DO NOT think!!! No, I wouldn't have been mad!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You did great. I would have done the same thing. And I would have appreciated what you did. Kids sometimes don't think and moms are not always around. It is good you explained to them why you were scared... I hope they took it to heart...

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Good for you!  Kids belong to all of us - it's our responsibility to look out for them if they won't look out for themselves!  I would have definitely spoken to them too.

And I bet they tell their mom what happened and she'll be thankful you said something too!

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

oh forgot to mention.....

when I was done talking to the boys the younger one looked at me and asked "did you say a bad word?"  LMBO!!

I looked at him and said "yes, you scared me SO bad it came all the way up and out"

babynurse454
by Wild Woman on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM
After I had stopped shaking I would of looked to see if the boys were still around,, not sure if I would actually go look for them,I would of said something if I had seen them. Good for you:-) I've actually followed drivers that were going way to fast in a 20 mile hour school zone! I've called the cops....Nobody is in that big of hurry ...
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM

kuddos and I have.  I actually turned my car around and went back after them (they were headed the opposite direction as me).

they don't seem to teach safety as much today as they did in our days it seems..I asked sweetpea once if they taught them what side of the road to walk/ride bike etc., hand signals and just safety stuff and she said that they did one day...ONE DAY!! yikes...they hammered that into us all the time every year etc.  sad....

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I think what you did was awesome. Hopefully they'll remember their promise to you.

mjgm1966
by Bronze sister on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I would appreciate you takig the time explaining this to my kids. 

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

By talking to them maybe you will prevent a tragedy in their future....

looneymom424
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Hopefully it will stick and they dont become the news later on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)