Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

What to get my baby on her 18th birthday?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

I am stumped for a good present.

I remember my parents gave me a Lladro figurine for my 18th birthday and that was really significant to me, so I'd like to get her something she will treasure for a long time. I thought, maybe a piece of real jewelry? I don't know. I also thought of maybe giving her a piece of jewelry that belongs to me, sort of passing it down to her.

I did take a few days off work so we'll spend a long weekend together, and my housemate gave us a gift card to go to the spa, but I can't think of something to get her.

What do you think? Also where the hell did the last 18 years go.

be generous in happiness, and patient in affliction. 

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deesam
by Twins on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM
To pass a piece of your jewelry down to her sounds great. Give her the story behind it. Who gave it to you, what it meant to you when it was given to you, how you felt when you received it. I would write it out and place it in the box you give it to her in.

This way she will always have it in case she passes it on to one of your grand children.
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I'm in this same predicament. My oldest dd turns 18 in February and I've already begun to think about what to get her and to make the day special. My dd will most likely not live on her own for a while...she is on the Autism Spectrum and is very needy, however things she finds important are well cared for...Hmmmmm...passing along a piece of jewelry sounds NICE!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM

My parents also gave me a figurine that was suppose to add value each year. Sadly it got broken after years of moving around (I should have had it in a glass case).  I like the jewelry that is passed down as that would be very nice..

Happy Birthday to her!!!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I like the jewelry passed down idea... That is always very special...

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I bought my daughter a ring for her 18th birthday - her gemstone, an aquamarine, set in white gold.  She loves it.  I might have passed on some jewelry, but I don't really own any good jewelry.  Now she will have her won piece to keep and pass on if she wants some day.

MsMimna
by Sister on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Maybe something that could be ingraved. My daughter has a Hope Chest so anything of importance like her baby book, or pictures she keeps them in there. Jewelry is always a nice gift....maybe birthstone? I'm sure anything you get her she will know comes with love :))

catloveralways
by SpitFire :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I  agree  with  the passed down jewelry. Also  spend the day together. Go to a nice restaurant. Get your nails and hair done.

cindim1963
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM

My dad passed away when I was 7 and my older sister was 12.  My mom took the stones that were in the engagement ring he gace her and had 3 diamond teardrop necklaces.  My mom always wore hers, but my sister and I got ours when we turned 18. I gave my DD mine when she turned 18, but she asked me to keep it because she was in an unstable relationship at the time and didn't want anything to happen it.  When she had DGD, she asked if I would give it to GD when she turned 18.  My sis didn't have a daughter, but does have a GD so she is giving hers to GD when she turns 18.

shansa3fan
by Sister on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Passing jewelry down is a good idea, so is a real piece of jewelry as well. She is my stepdaughter and she had recently connected with her two older sisters that their mother also abandoned. We financed a trip to North Carolina, air fare, spending money, she stayed with her sisters for two weeks. They took he rto the beach several times, shopped, sightseeing, all of it. First airplane, first ocean/beach, first time away and connecting with blood sisters. She has tons of pictures, keepsakes and memories. She said it was the best thing ever. 

Jessicamarquez
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM
My mom got me a diamond circle that diamonds can't be shattered and circles never ends and that her love will always follow me and be eternal that's an idea GL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)