Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies... Have any of you ever

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
Had an LP or a spinal tap or CNF ? They are all the same. Anyhow, I have to have one scheduled due the constant migraines since the wreck.

Anyhow, do they put you out cold? Local? How quick do you get an answer ? I'm terrified as it's my freakin brain they are messing WITH MY BRAIN!!
Yes it's great someone is finally listening and taking me seriously. But I'm still terrified. Terrified that it won't show anything, terrified it will and I have to have some surgery I don't understand.

And don't you hate hearing the word " routine" when YOU'VE never had it?

Any words of wisdom?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I only had a spinal tap about 25 years ago. I now get headaches from them but because they did it wrong they said I would.. They numb the area and bend me like a pretzel and took my spinal fluids.

Keep us posted on how you do and what the say... Hugs

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:41 AM
Wow, Dana...

That inspires real confidence being I'm trying to get rid of headaches. :-/

But thank you, I'll keep you posted. I am terrified, I will admit.... At the same time if it provides relief, I can't really turn it down. I've truly had a headache for almost two years, I'd be happy with a medically induced coma, at this point.

Quoting dana63:

I only had a spinal tap about 25 years ago. I now get headaches from them but because they did it wrong they said I would.. They numb the area and bend me like a pretzel and took my spinal fluids.

Keep us posted on how you do and what the say... Hugs

Brooklynchic
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM

no im sorry i  never had any experience with that. but i sure do wish you luck momma.. keep us posted..hugs..

Fayanne
by Fay on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I have not. My brother has, they did not put him out

rescuekim
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I never had a spinal but I'm a pediatric nurse and I've assisted with hundreds of them.  They'll put a numbing cream on your back first and your back has to be bent for the procedure.  How long it takes to get the results depends on if your dr has to send the fluid out to a lab or if they have an in house lab.  Kids seem to handle it pretty well. 

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Thank you for describing the procedure, hon

You do realize that even WebMD could not be bothered to describe it, only what it was for....
I should direct their head copywriter to you :-)
Layman's terms, Layman's terms!!

Quoting rescuekim:I never had a spinal but I'm a pediatric nurse and I've assisted with hundreds of them.  They'll put a numbing cream on your back first and your back has to be bent for the procedure.  How long it takes to get the results depends on if your dr has to send the fluid out to a lab or if they have an in house lab.  Kids seem to handle it pretty well. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)