Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Does anyone know how I can find out if my Mom's house was sold?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 371 Total Views

My Mom died on September 7, 2009.  My cousin..the trustee of her estate...was supposed to sell her house as she instructed and the money was supposed to be divided evenly between her seven grandchildren.  The money was supposed to be put into a trust and each child is supposed to get their share when they turn 30...some of course will receive more than others because of the interest earned.  My oldest daughter..her oldest grandchild,,,will turn 30 in February and we have no idea if the house has even been sold yet.  I tried looking up the property records and the only thing I can find are the records showing that the land my brother inherited was transfered to him.  I've also been checking the realty sites every month since October of 2009 and I have never seen it listed. My daughter and I feel that my cousin is not being honest and is withholding information from us. Both of us feel that we have the right to know if the house was sold and for how much. I live in Idaho and can't check on the house as often as I would like to.  My daughter lives in Utah but she isn't comfortable going to the house and seeing if someone is living in it.  She is still having a hard time imagining someone other than my mom living there.  One of her friends drives by occasionally and they told her that it looks like some remodeling had been done on the outside of the house but they can't tell if anyone is actually living there.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Did she have a lawyer? Check with her county registrar of deeds. They may even be online. If it was sold they would have had to do a new deed and it would have been recorded. You can even find out what it sold for. Or you might also check with the Town Hall of where the house was.

Arwyn724
by Bronze sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The County Office of Deeds or Taxes will have the info.  Real estate sales are available for public knowledge.

Joyzap2003
by Sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I'm not sure if she had a lawyer.  I have a copy of the trust and it might say who the lawyer was if she had one but it is in a box in our storage unit.   I'll try looking for the county registrar of deeds.

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM

May I ask what state and county the house is/was in?

Quoting Joyzap2003:

I'm not sure if she had a lawyer.  I have a copy of the trust and it might say who the lawyer was if she had one but it is in a box in our storage unit.   I'll try looking for the county registrar of deeds.

ALolies
Come party with us!
Yesterday at 1:26 PM
40ish and beyond... Group - CafeMom

A group for women beyond 40 who would like to share advice,ask questions,vent out and Have fun.

by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

If you don't find the records, get the paperwork and contact her attorney.

Quoting Joyzap2003:

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
How did you not know if she had a lawyer. When your daughter got her copy of the will who did it come from?

Quoting Joyzap2003:

doostica
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to the property appraisers website for that county and do a property search...... Type in the address and TADA! It will show you who the current owner is

Joyzap2003
by Sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My parents had a lawyer before my dad died but my dad refused to finish making out his will before he died so of course everyting went to my mom.  I live in a different state than my mom did and we did not spend a lot of time discussing leagal matters.  The last time we talked about her  will she told me she was making some changes to it and that she needed the kids social security numbers but she did not say what changes she was making.  Apparently she got rid of the will and went with a trust instead.  My cousin Bart ...the trustee...told me the day after funeral that she wanted the house sold and the money divided between the kids...a shock to me as i had always been told I would be inheriting the house and my brother would inherit the land behind it.  My cousin showed me the paperwork for the trust and also mailed me a copy of it,  I'm not sure if my daughter has a copy of the paperwork or not.  I read mine to her over the phone when I got it.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

How did you not know if she had a lawyer. When your daughter got her copy of the will who did it come from?

Quoting Joyzap2003:

Joyzap2003
by Sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Weber County Utah.  The address is 340 N. 1600 W. Marriott-Slaterville City formerly known as Slaterville.

Quoting BL2010:

May I ask what state and county the house is/was in?

Quoting Joyzap2003:

Joyzap2003
by Sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter has already spoken to a lawyer about this and it has been decided that if my cousin does not present her with a check for her share of the money or at least the paperwork showing how much she is receiving on February 3, 2014...her 30th birthday she is going to file a suit against him on behalf of her siblings, cousins and herself.

Quoting ALolies:

If you don't find the records, get the paperwork and contact her attorney.

Quoting Joyzap2003:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN