Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Relationships as we age.... **EDIT**

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 514 Total Views
3 moms liked this

I live in Chicago and the media is in a frenzy over our old Mayor Richard Daley attending a wedding with his new girlfriend. The mayor lost his wife of 40 years to cancer a couple years back and is now dating a woman 30 years his Junior. He is 71, she is 31. She is an attorney. I don't see what the big deal is? I think as we get older, we are looking for someone who is intellectually compatible with us more so than anything else. She is obviously an intelligent woman (not to metion very beautiful as well) and I'm sure she is more on his level as far as education and things like that. I am only going to be 42 next week and I KNOW the things that are important to me now are that my husband and I communicate, share common interests and things like that. Sex and physical attraction are probably lower on my list of qualities I need looking into the future. For now, I am very attracted to him and we have a healthy sex life, but at 71, I'm thinking communication and intellectual stimulation will be more of a concern. Any thoughts ladies?

I think alot of you misunderstood this post, it wasn't about age differences. I was just curious if what you are looking for in a partner is different today and for the future than it was years ago. I was just commenting on the media going crazy over their age difference. I believe they are attratced to each other because they are on the same intellectual level. And she is 41, not 31, I typed that incorrectly ;)

in loveGina

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brooklynchic
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I happen to agree with you as to as we age our interests and wants are different .. As far as the mayor goes. Who cares. As long as their happy.who are we to judge... Look who we have trying to run for mayor. WEINER lol. That's a whole different ball game.
Communication is key no matter how old!!
Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

You may actually be onto something. I'm not so sure that at that age I'll be wanting to have sex. I mean, there are other aspects to life. I'm from IL as well! Welcome Gina~!

looneymom424
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter is married to someone who is 18 years younger she gets along fine with him..I think age doesnt really go with love...if you love that  person age doesnt make a difference.

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me. As long as they're happy together who am I to say anything is wrong with their relationship.

soupsangel711
by Sister on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My own perspective? I don't believe it is our physical body that really determines "how old we really are". It is our spirit - what's on the inside - that determines that. Who are we to say what attracts one person to another? And... by the age 71? I think I'll pretty much be done with the sexual side of life. Just don't tell my husband, okay? ;-) lol

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree to a certain extent. Age is just a number. But you all are talking about this from a 71yos perspective of sex. What about a 31yos perspective. I know at 31 I was not ready to throw in the towel. Is he going to be able to keep up? I just don't know that they can have enough in common for her to give up a healthy sex life at such a young age. Even if he's still "got it" now, how much longer can he hang on to it? JMO!!!

firelites
by Anne on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM

as long as they are happy that's what counts

k1kelley
by Kim on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Who cares as long as he can still do his job!

cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I really don't care about the age thing either. Me personally, I want someone who is fun & exciting and has me intellectually stimulated.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM
No way would I want someone with a large age difference than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)