Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

To dye or not to dye.....

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 26 Replies
  • 360 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Well, I have another appointment for a cut and colour in a couple of weeks.  I am about 50% gray, but I am finding that the salon visits are becoming very expensive and my hair has been thinning, so I don't think colouring it will help. I don't want to do a drugstore colour for the same reasons.  I don't really have a problem with going au natural, BUT, I have a 9 year old son and I am hyperaware of NOT looking like his grandmother!  Would lowlights or highlights help?  I'd love to hear any suggestions!  Thanks!

UPDATE:  Thanks for all the great replies!  I had to change my appt and ended up going one night for the cut and going for the colour about a week later.  At my 1st appt, I mentioned to my hairdresser that I was concerned about the harshness of hair colouring and my thinning hair, which she doesn't think is as bad as I do, and she said she could special order a mild colour with no ammonia, etc.  So, she did that on Wed afternoon and I felt a little bit of tingling for a few minutes after she applied it, but I have not had an itchy scalp at all.  I"m not sure how she mixes it, but it's a rich darker auburn with some natural highlights in it.  I always get lots of compliments on it.  So, I think I'll stick with that one.  I will definitely continue to colour as I am not ready to show my gray just yet. 

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samomama
by Ms. Fair Weather on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I just dye. I am not sure if lowlights or highlights will do much to 50% gray hair. I am close to 50% gray myself. And with a 2 year old :)

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes grey or silver looks really good... it depends on your skin coloring ~ and coloring does add 'thickening" feel to the shafts of your hair.  I guess it depends on your comfort level.  I don't wan't to go grey unless it looks fabulous.  Until then I'm coloring my hair aurbur/brown..

subiemama
by Bronze sister on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Try a peekaboo color..Usually a lighter color w/ hi and low lights and a color underneath that blends it all...I do that at my stylist and is nice for us graying mamas!!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I get gray and then it disappears (no I dont color or pul it out). You said your hair is thinning so why not use some coconut on your hair and see if it helps with the thinning. I know mine was thinning and I used it (took it pills form) and my thick locks came back...

Oh and if you feel good about dying then go for it..

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I have this same dilemma. I've tried both ways...coloring and leaving it. I have a soon to be 8 year old son and he's told me when I needed to color it too! LOL Personally...I'd leave it. It's not worth the expense since being 50% gray means a touch up every 3-4 weeks. I've also done the low lights...without much success since my gray is mainly right on the top of my head. I think a good CUT & STYLE is worth more and lasts longer than any color.

Connie04
by Sister on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I remember you mentioning that when I posted about my thinning hair.  I went to the doc and all my numbers are OK, just the usual low estrogen because of perimenopause.  I will try what you suggested about the coconut oil.  I'm stil thinking about the colouring, though...........

Quoting dana63:

I get gray and then it disappears (no I dont color or pul it out). You said your hair is thinning so why not use some coconut on your hair and see if it helps with the thinning. I know mine was thinning and I used it (took it pills form) and my thick locks came back...

Oh and if you feel good about dying then go for it..

Connie04
by Sister on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of a peekaboo colour.....what exactly is that?  Right now, my stylist uses a permanent auburn/brown colour all over.  She does put something it in to bring out different shades. 

Quoting subiemama:

Try a peekaboo color..Usually a lighter color w/ hi and low lights and a color underneath that blends it all...I do that at my stylist and is nice for us graying mamas!!

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea what % grey i am i never let them get that far! My grey sticks straight up so i color them down! Do the all over dye just once or twice a year and just do a root touch up about every six weeks! The all over i use has both low and high lights if that helps you out! I understand not looking like your ds grandma it is a fine line and god knows on my face i dont need more lines! Good luck!
Connie04
by Sister on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  I am guessing about the % because I've never let myself get that far, either!  I have a suspicion that my gray would not be that classy silvery colour some women have.  I think it would be that salt & pepper look.  Do you find the low and highlights are less expensive (and maybe less damaging) than an all over colour?

Quoting mrgetinold:

I have no idea what % grey i am i never let them get that far! My grey sticks straight up so i color them down! Do the all over dye just once or twice a year and just do a root touch up about every six weeks! The all over i use has both low and high lights if that helps you out! I understand not looking like your ds grandma it is a fine line and god knows on my face i dont need more lines! Good luck!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a red head going gray very rapidly...
I won't color...
Just a personal preference...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)