Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Eldest is off to college (tears)

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 239 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I have 3 daughters: 18, 13, and 5.

My eldest has her last weekend at home this weekend.  On Wednesday the 21st, we drop her off at college.

Everyone thinks I'm crying because she's going to college.  But I'm not crying over that.

I'm crying over the baby I used to cuddle and coo at.  I'm crying over tthe little blonde-haired toddler she used to be, who thought I held the moon and who drew stick figures of the two of us holding hands.  I'm sad over the sweet 9yo she was who snuggled up to me at bedtime for her bedtime story.  I'm going to miss the awkward preteen with braces and pimples and starter bra.  And I'm going to miss the hard-working 18yo she is around my home.

THAT'S why I'm crying.  But nobody is getting that!  I thought this group might. :) (wink)

Oh, and did I mention my youngest, the 5yo, is attending her very last day of preschool today?  She starts Kindergarten soon.

So many emotional hurdles this month!  Ugh!

But...it's all good, really.  I have been so blessed.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs... I know what you mean.. I registered my youngest for her sophmore yr in High School yesterday... I was so emotional and tried not to cry...I know I will on her first day after she is gone...sigh..

25beengoodtome
by Crazy LiL' Sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It sure is difficult to see your children mature and leave the comfy safety of your nest. They do need to go, learn to fly among the turkeys out in the big old world. You raised your kids the best you could. You did a good job of being a mature adult, trust your kids to do the same.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs~~

I know its hard to see them in college.. YOu know your not alone as we have many that are sending their 1st child to college next week...Hugs

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

((HUGS!)) The years truly do fly by!

Bitterroot
by Sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Thank you, mamas.  I appreciate it.

looneymom424
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs I know what you mean all mine are grown and gone but I miss them dearly

njt320
by Sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
My youngest is leaving !! All I have left is dh and my dog :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I SOOOOO understand why you are crying. I just married off my baby in May... I wanted to SCREAM at everyone talking about me "letting go"... It was not the letting go. It was the joy of watching this young man I had held in my arms just a few days (seems like) ago taking the next step in life. We are saddened by that step, but moreso proud of the wonderful young adults they have become... You come here anytime you need us... PM me if you need me...

bertie4
by Sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Time does fly!!!  I understand.  I know you are proud too. At one time my son moved like 1 1/2 hour away. I thought I would lose it. I missed him so much, just knowing he wasn't close enough to run see in 10  minutes. I was pitiful. 

flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Aug. 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh that sounds so hard.  And here I thought I was having an emotional week with my little 5 year old losing her first tooth & heading off to full day kindergarten here shortly.  I can't even imagine what that car ride home from drop off will be like for you.  Good luck. I really have no advice.  I'm sure she'll continue to make you proud & it is all good like you said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)