Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Changed my FB name

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 176 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Something I had never thought about. I saw one of those identity theft commercials this morning. I had my maiden name listed on FB. My kids have me listed as there mother. That is the main security question on anything you do online. I went and removed my maiden name. Identity theft may never happen to my kids, but doesn't everyone say "that could never happen to me?" Just a small step, but I feel better about it...

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
catloveralways
Time for My Annual Tribute to Elvis page.
Yesterday at 3:10 PM
by SpitFire :) on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Are we Friends on Facebook?  I  also  have a CM anonymous Group over there. I'm barbfennessy.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Will be as soon as you accept... 

Quoting catloveralways:

Are we Friends on Facebook?  I  also  have a CM anonymous Group over there. I'm barbfennessy.

25beengoodtome
by Crazy LiL' Sister on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

"Every little bit helps."  Hope your name change deters all creeps from getting to your ID.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I have strict privacy settings on mine. My ex only joined FB because he thought he could get in my business. I have my maiden name because friends from hs don't know me any other way.
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

That was my intitial reason for listing mine. But I have all the friends from school I would want now anyway. As a matter of fact, I will probably drop a few of them. So no one should need to find me that doesn't know my now name. 

Quoting wishbearmom:

I have strict privacy settings on mine. My ex only joined FB because he thought he could get in my business. I have my maiden name because friends from hs don't know me any other way.

Fayanne
by Fay on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

while going through the divorce process, as if that isn't stressful enough, I got an email from Equifax thanking me for ordering a copy of my credit report.

I didn't order it!

I immediately got on and called them, emailed them. The response I got was 'someone with enough access to your personal information to answer your security questions requested a copy of  your report', but they would not or could not give me the IP address of the computer requesting the report.

So, I had to have a fraud alert put on my credit file, file out an ID theft affadavit, notify the FTC, fill out an official police report, and 'freeze' all my credit.

That meant, I could not take out any loans or credit cards at all or without a huge huge hassle.

Two years later, when I needed to turn on the gas heat in my empty rental, I couldn't without driving an hour into the city to provide proof positive that I was who I said I was. Screw that! The house was empty. I left it unheated.

Anyway, as the divorce process continued, I found out it was my STBX who requested the report. And there's not much I can do about that. If I really wanted to, I could file charges for him for illegal impersonation, that's about it. He didn't take out any debt in my name, just used it to verify what debt I had. Why his lawyer allowed him to do that I have no clue. Why my lawyer didn't call him out on it, I have no clue.

Then, because I needed to refinance the house in my name only, I had to contact all those credit reporting companies separately, and repeatedly, with copies off all my old paperwork, utility bills, etc, (all again to prove I am who I said I was) to get the alert and freeze lifted.

This past spring I cosigned a car loan for my daughter. Apparently the fraud alert was still on one reporting agency, because they called me cell to tell me so.

I can't imagine how stressful it might be to actually have someone run up credit card debt or loans after stealing your ID.

Now, after being married over 25 years, how likely is it that he will forget all the info about me that is typically used to verify ID? maiden name, mother's maiden name, date of birth, social security number, place of birth, first school. He knows ALL of those. Sometimes those are the only security questions available.

The ones I try to use he hopefully doesn't know. Father's middle name, maternal grandfather's first name, maternal grandmother's maiden name, etc.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My step dad made up a maiden name for his mother for online/credit purposes.

Quoting Fayanne:

while going through the divorce process, as if that isn't stressful enough, I got an email from Equifax thanking me for ordering a copy of my credit report.

I didn't order it!

I immediately got on and called them, emailed them. The response I got was 'someone with enough access to your personal information to answer your security questions requested a copy of  your report', but they would not or could not give me the IP address of the computer requesting the report.

So, I had to have a fraud alert put on my credit file, file out an ID theft affadavit, notify the FTC, fill out an official police report, and 'freeze' all my credit.

That meant, I could not take out any loans or credit cards at all or without a huge huge hassle.

Two years later, when I needed to turn on the gas heat in my empty rental, I couldn't without driving an hour into the city to provide proof positive that I was who I said I was. Screw that! The house was empty. I left it unheated.

Anyway, as the divorce process continued, I found out it was my STBX who requested the report. And there's not much I can do about that. If I really wanted to, I could file charges for him for illegal impersonation, that's about it. He didn't take out any debt in my name, just used it to verify what debt I had. Why his lawyer allowed him to do that I have no clue. Why my lawyer didn't call him out on it, I have no clue.

Then, because I needed to refinance the house in my name only, I had to contact all those credit reporting companies separately, and repeatedly, with copies off all my old paperwork, utility bills, etc, (all again to prove I am who I said I was) to get the alert and freeze lifted.

This past spring I cosigned a car loan for my daughter. Apparently the fraud alert was still on one reporting agency, because they called me cell to tell me so.

I can't imagine how stressful it might be to actually have someone run up credit card debt or loans after stealing your ID.

Now, after being married over 25 years, how likely is it that he will forget all the info about me that is typically used to verify ID? maiden name, mother's maiden name, date of birth, social security number, place of birth, first school. He knows ALL of those. Sometimes those are the only security questions available.

The ones I try to use he hopefully doesn't know. Father's middle name, maternal grandfather's first name, maternal grandmother's maiden name, etc.

Fayanne
by Fay on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Oooo.. .. ... NEVER would have thought of that! lol...

looneymom424
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I dont have to worry they cant get credit on us...repossession of cars

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)