Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

help - potty training!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 181 Total Views

I have a three yr old who is in the midst of potty training and is doing great using the pull up training pants and is making no.1 in the potty almost everytime.   The issue is he refuses to go no.2 in the toilet. He pees standing up but will not sit on the seat. Its as if he is scared of going.  I am using rewards stickers all the praises I can.

Any suggestions. He starts preschool and and cant go into the all day program bc he is not fully trained.

Thank you!

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM

My daughter just finished potty training my 3 year old granddaughter. She allowed her to take her time as she did with my grandson and once my daughter decided no more pull ups she talked to Sophia and told her big girls alway potty in the potty. We bought her cute panties and told her accidents hapen but try to make it. Since she picked out the ones she wanted she didnt want to soil them. She was fully trained within two days and no more pull ups and only #2 once (she was with me so I had to finish the training...lol). My daughter (and we have one as well) as a stool for the potty and Sophia was able to go on her own and my daughter placed baby wipes in her reach (but also helped her).

Also we placed one of those bed pads on her bed so if she has an accident it wouldnt mess up her mattress. WE placed it under the sheet and she never knew it was there and so far no accidents.

I know each child is different because my other 3 year old grandchild was potty training at the same time and she is doing good as well but because my son started her while he had her we only hope the mother will as well (they have joint custody).

Good luck, I know he will be fully trained in his time... :)

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

#2 in the potty has always been a more difficult for some kids. They ARE afraid of falling in and most don't like the little potty. They not only fear falling IN the toilet...but of what is coming out. Because when a kid poops in a diaper...there is some resistence....when over an open toilet...the sensation is really quite different.

My suggestion would be to get a small child seat that goes over a big toilet. Most kids will go around the same time each day and do your best to encourage him to at least sit and try (during that time frame) and reward for trying if it's really difficult. Don't force or struggle with him (this will only increase the anxiety.) Offer a book, or play a small game or read a story while he's sitting to encourage longer sitting.You'd be surprised how much more relaxed he will be.

Fayanne
by Fay on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I don't remember much about training my younger two.. must have been sleep deprevation. I do remember training my oldest, but mine are all girls.

First, the pullups were too comfortable. So, we (I) used cotton training panties, or just a long T shirt and no panties at all. This was a tricky one, as I distinctly remember one day she wandered into the hallway, squatted down, and I could HEAR the little plop plop plops.

Honestly, I did a lot of showing her 'this is what big girls do' by showing her how I did it. The look on her face when I said "See? Mommy doesn't wear diapers, Mommy wears panties!" kinda helped seal the deal. BUT, it almost has to be a 24/7 deal. I teach, so I had the summer and/or Christmas break to work on things.

flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I agree ditch the pull ups.  It was thicker cotton undies that can somewhat contain a small accident but are terribly uncomfortable once wet or soiled, kid can't stand being in them feeling icky.  It seemed like I was constantly offering potty breaks &of course major praise for jobs done on the potty. I do remember it was difficult to get her to humor me on these frequent br trips.  "please let's just try" & low and behold she would actually go even though she was sure she didn't need to. I can't remember how long it took to get to no diapers at bed time after daytime potty training was mastered, maybe a couple months or so.

frtchr
by Sister on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
DS is about to be five, and he still has issues with #2. We have him on a strict schedule: he has to sit on the potty about 15 minutes after every meal. We're up to about 90% success, but every once in a while, there are accidents. He started out on a little potty on the floor until he got user to it. Then he sat with an insert on the regular potty, and now he's just on the regular potty. Definitely have a stool so his little feet have something solid under him. You could even start by having him sit on the little potty with his Pull Up on to go just to get him used to the sensation of sitting and going. I hate wishing time away, but I'm really ready to get this part of childhood over with! lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)