Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Do educational apps help the child learning ability?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

WE see many children who are on smart phones, iPads, eReaders (tablets) and computers and some parents have many apps for educational purposes. These apps are supose to teach the child their numbers, shapes, colors or even to read. When my childen were younger I made flash cards and sat down to help them and even pointed out colors and shapes with each thing we did. I still do this with my 7 year old and my 9 grandchildren as well.

My granddaughter was putting a puzzle together on my daughters Kindle (mind you she is 3) and it was a learning app. She was showing me this and my daughter said she is good at it. Yes she will be good at it if she is doing the same thing over and over, but what about getting her a hands on puzzle and see if she can do it.

What do you think about educational apps? Will they replace the one on one learning with parents or caretakers? Could these apps make the child "lazy" towards actual chalk on board learning?

Your thoughts?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Montylyn
by Silver sister on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't feel sis, that any app.could teach them as well as that one on one and hands on ..... I mean they are good but they won't ever replace one on one.... Huggies,Linda 

Fayanne
by Fay on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know....

stimulation is good, however so is human interaction. To park a kid with an electronic device for hours a day and not give them the same social interaction we all had years ago, is a huge disservice. Kids need to learn how to get along with adults, with other kids, and figure out how to just get along with themselves.

So, I guess I will say yes, and no.

However, I've been teaching well over 25 years, and teachers HAVE had to change their approach due to all this electronic exposure kids have. We need to include (or at least at my school we've been TOLD to include) computer use, interaction, and to some degree, animation, simply to keep kids' interests. There is very little 'chalk on board' learning these days. Common Core will also see to that.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Personally speaking...I think the old way is the best way. It's nice that kids have the exposure to other ways of doing things (once they have mastered it hands on) but I don't think using it as a means to "teach" really does much. JMO

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I still love teaching the old method of hands on with that chalk on board. I know the new age is devices as I was told many of our area schools are using iPad for books because it is easier than the child carrying each book to class. I do know that they had much success with child communicating that have autism and in my opinion this is great!

cjcharlie1959
by Dungeon Queen on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

With Jeremiah, we went high tech. The reason being I know in today's society if you don't know how to use technology, you are behind the curve and will be lost in the dust.

He learned alot and children do learn by repetition. Once he learned how to do it we added more challenging games and made it so he couldn't use the easier games (permissions).  We also used a lot of websites by different companies.  A parent should watch how they use the learning apps and when they have mastered it, move on to harder apps.

Manth
by Manth on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

We spent a fortune getting a linked series of computer games called LearningLand for our girls when they were small.  They mastered the concepts VERY quickly and soon grew bored with it - once they had the concepts down the  more complex games later in the series didn't interest them.  So I feel I wasted my money on them.  

But then again, my girls are much brighter than average (one classified as 'gifted', the other one 'highly gifted' once they hit school).  I passed the disks along to a friend whose grand-daughter has a more normal learning style and she has enjoyed them very much.  So it was quite possibly more an artefact of my girls' learning style than a problem with the games themselves.

Once my girls mastered reading (they did this quite early) they were more interested in books than anything electronic.  Even today (at 17 and 18) they love to read.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I think in today's society they need both. They do have to know computers, but hands on is still important... They need to learn to interact with people and not just how to use computers... People skills is a biggy that you can't learn on a computer....

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

There are many things you can teach the children with learning apps but it doesn not take the place of application of what they see...watching someone tie their shoe is like a magic trick to kids and until they can do it themselves.

I agree with Momma with puzzles as well...a complete development of is not  a job well done...When applied in a real time situation its fantastic...

looneymom424
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My kids learned on the computer and flash cards also..my daughter is teaching my granddaughter without electronic help because she cant afford them.  I think reading to a child and the hands on makes them learn faster than any device.

Snowl
by Snowl :) on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

As a teacher and a mom I have seen many changes over the past 20+ years. Kids still need to know how to do things the "old" way. I used computers to supplement teaching for my boys. More of a reward for finishing homework and chores. Now my 18 yr old is very very good with math and computers. I think kids and adults will need to use both traditional and computer things for a long time. Although not much beats getting a real letter in the mail for me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)