Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Just a vant about my family...(haha! that was a typo! But I think I meant a combo of a vent and a rant!)

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 22 Replies
  • 425 Total Views

Yesterday was my 49th birthday. My parents live 2 1/2 miles away from me. They have had out of town guests staying with them since Wednesday, a couple we've known since I was about 2 years old, so they are practically family, too. Because of their guests, it was previously stated that we (collectively, as a family: my family, my parents & presumably my older, single sister who lived about an hour away) would not be celebrating my birthday until their guests left sometime today.

My parents travel to Florida evey February with this couple and another elderly couple who is also like family, in their motor homes. They camp for two months out of the year together. During that time, two of them (not my parents) celebrate birthdays, and my parents often call me on their cell during the birthday celebrations, complete with cake, so I can get on the phone & sing Happy Birthday along with the rest of them.

Yesterday (my birthday) I didn't receive so much as a phone call from anyone in my family to wish me happy birthday. I can understand how we're not going out to dinner, or even having cake together, but how about at least a phone call?? Then again, why NOT have cake together? Couldn't they have brought over a cake & their guests (who are like family)? Or invited me there? What's it going to take, an hour? I know they didn't do anything in particular (had nothing planned.) But, at MINIMUM a phone call would have been nice. I hope I don't get that way when I get that old. I could NEVER not acknowledge the day of my sons' births. They were the two most important days of my life.

Eight o'clock this morning (YES, a SATURDAY) the phone rings - I see it's my parents. Of course I'm still in bed. Hell yeah, I'm still in bed! And still annoyed!! So I didn't answer. It's my mother - she leaves a message. Mr & Mrs "Smith" are leaving for Connecticut on a 2 PM ferry; maybe I could come over & bring the kids "for a short visit" before noon.  Uh - NOPE. Adam has occupational therapy 12 miles away at 10 AM (a standing appointment he attends every week & that my parents are aware of)...that one's not going to work, now is it? Also, STILL no "Happy BELATED birthday"....

I'll call them sometime in the later afternoon. Blech.

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khanfan
by Apple Dapple on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Happy Birthday! to you.

I like your new word vant, I might  use that, okay.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

AWW! I'm sorry, I'd be hurt, too! Happy belated birthday!! blowing candles

benny1031
by Sister on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I'm so sorry sweetie HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FROM ME GO AND GET YOURSELF SOMETHING AND FORGET EVERYONE EXCEPT YOUR KIDS FOR THE DAY.
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM

So sorry Sweetie. I think you and I have the same family. And it does sting. 
Happy belated birthday to you! I hope it was a nice one anyways...
And, NO, I wouldn't get together with them today even if there werenot plans already.

But I'd throw a sting back, I'd say that I can't because the boys are doing something special for you for your birthday. 

looneymom424
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hugs unless I remind my parents I get nothing and my children people get so consumed by things they forget the important stuff

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM

is this really out of the norm for them?  do they make a point of calling every year?

firelites
by Anne on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

happy belated birthday, hugs happy birthday hope today is going better

stuswf
by Gold sister on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I hear you!!! (((Hugs))))......happy birthday to you! Celebrate your life
wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM
So sorry (((hugs))) Happy Birthday!
rmebrat1020
by rmebrat on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Happy Birthday!

At least your family did acknowldge you had a birthday. My family totally forgot my birthday one year. There was no acknowledgement ho happy birthday, nothing. My DH*was just a bf then* called me at 8PM to wish me a happy birthday and when my parents asked what he wanted and I told them to wish me a happy birthday they somehow put the blame on me that I did not remind them. WHY THE HECK SHOULD I REMIND THEM OF THE DAY THEY BROUGHT ME INTO THIS WORLD????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)