Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

How often do you go out and socialize with friends?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 926 Total Views

Every weekend when I watch HGTV people are looking at houses and basing lots of their choices on "entertaining". How often do you entertain either in your home or go out and meet friends? We still have a high schooler and most of our time is taken up around her schedule and one now in college.  We have some friends that go to a bar every Friday or Saturday night but we can only go once or twice a month, and I really don't care for the hassle of entertaining in my house.  What is your social life like?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

LMAO.. what social life....

I've watched that show and have wondered the same thing.

looneymom424
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont have any local friends so we dont go out or entertain anyone

Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like people . I stay to myself or with family lol. I go to the bar maybe twice a year when I get the urge to let loose.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Rarely. Whenever a friend has time and wants to meet up I do and I love it. But I haven't entertained at home in a long time and I don't make "going out" a big priority.

I watch those shows too and I think, "REALLY? You actually do that much entertaining? Or you just think you do.?" LOL

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We host Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas festivities... That is pretty much it.

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

We are with friends at least once a week and on a weekend too.  We have a group (4 couples) who we usually hang out with on regular basis and sometimes its at our house other times it's at someone elses house.  We go out to the tap room/pub or a restaurant once a month or so but usually spur of the moment just the hubs and I.  We are very social people and since he works from home 99.9% of the time due to his muscular disease we NEED to see other PEOPLE and he NEEDS to get out of the house!  We have 2 boys 1 still in high school 1 starting college and they are best friends with the kids of our group....we also have other friends and in March we have a HUGE St. Patricks Day party where we invite about 40-50 people over (no we don't have a huge house but we have a garage and a deck for overflow) and feed them home brined corned beef and home brew...great party...

Bertieb
by Sister on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I can't figure out my problem. Ahead of time I'm all for it, but on the way or right before I don't want to go. I'm afraid I will be too quiet and won't talk enough. I just have a quiet personality but I love to do fun things. I guess I don't entertain at home mostly because I want my house to be perfect and me too. We just haven't found a couple or more we really click with I guess. I want to be a fun hostess but worry I'm not. Silly, I know. Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that notices that about those shows!

Quoting flowrsgalore:

it sucks and it causes me so much angst.  it's never going to be easy. social stuff throws me for a major loop.  I'm jealous of people who are having tons of fun with friends, because I do crave it. i have my mommy friends & we do stuff with the kids & once every blue moon we have a girls night out. it's not enough.  Hubs does not help me out in this department at all, he simply doesn't seem to care if we are social or not. I invited a couple over to our house back in August & I had myself wigged out cleaning & prepping food, thankfully once the wine was flowing it got better.  I don't see us becoming buds with this couple though, so it was just an exercise for me.  wow I really put it out there ahhy? when i saw this post i thought it was a different group, but I'll leave my reply what the hell.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Social life? HA HA HA...you are kidding right? No..you aren't? lol

No...we don't socialize. We have pretty much dedicated our lives to our special needs kids. When we go out...they go out with us. While I will admit to wanting to do something now and then with my husband...or friends...it just doesn't happen. If friends DO come by...it's rare. I like entertaining, but I'm more of an outdoors entertainer. I don't like people messing up my house...lol.

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

We are empty nesters and we are very social..........we have a fifth-wheel trailer at the lake in the summer with 60 other campers(always something going on) in the winter we travel on our snowmobiles with the others couples that belong to our snowmobile club.  But we have earned this because when the children were small life was all about them.

Snowl
by Snowl :) on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM

There is a club/private bar near where I live. They have bingo with a progressive jackpot. I go there once or twice every couple of months to try and win LOL. I need a cute guy to take me out more and pay for stuff (just kidding).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN