Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Thank you Portland!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 91 Total Views

A few years ago some people in charge of the city and much, much more intelligent than I decided to study a few homes and change our garbage system. My regular garbage can is now half the size it was and is only picked up every other week. There is a huge recycle can that I put everything I possibly can into it and it goes weekly. Equally large is our yard clipping/food scrap can. So here's the dilemma; you can either put food scraps in a can that won't go out for two weeks, but at least it's all sacked up, or put it in the yard waste can where it decomposes for up to a week in the hot, humid weather.

So Thursday, I move the can back to where it belongs and yikes, it's full of maggots...but wait there's more! The neighbors can was chewed through and he found not one, not two, but seven, yes that's right, seven rats stuck in his can. If that would have been my can, I would have been layed out flat on the ground and you all would have heard me scream.

So, hopefully none of you have a bunch of Einsteins running your city like we do here. Thank you Portland! 

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to start a compost pile. If you put cardboard, paper and coffee gground in it open the lid the rats won't bother it. The maggots decompose it faster. The brush and grass and paper are what keep it from stinking. Good luck
wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Gross, gross, gross. Now I really do not want to live in Portland!!

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Me either!

Quoting wishbearmom:

Gross, gross, gross. Now I really do not want to live in Portland!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)