Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Computer viruses..

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 270 Total Views
Do you use something you bought or something you downloaded online? I was using a program I got online but it didnt help my computer crashed it was down all day. My son bought a virus program and it fixed it. What do you use?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Funny you should mention viruses. Kaspersky came with my computer when I purchased it a year and a half ago. I had to pay for the second year, but my work from home job involves my immediate supervisor monitoring my performance remotely in real time. Saturday I ended up with 3 Heur Trojans and 65 infected files that neither Kaspersky nor malwarebytes could fix. I called Kaspersky tech support, and they directed me to Albion, and while they removed my Trojans successfully, it cost me a whopping $300 and they had to disable Kaspersky and install Microsoft Essentials, so the antivirus software I'd paid to renew was money down the drain! I now have a year of unlimited  remote tech support, and I couldn't take my computer anywhere because I would have lost work time (and been in deep trouble because this is our crazy busy time; I have 218 scheduled hours plus additional hours tacked on to almost every shift), but I am beyond frustrated with the whole issue. Likely one of my supervisors inadvertently infected my computer. It's the nature of the beast. But I don't understand is why Kaspersky sent me elsewhere, and why I had to pay AGAIN!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Most of the time I use a download. If I get a bad one, I will purchase a good software by the year. I just don't renew when time is up.

1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My husband who doesn't like to spend money, figured out how to fix my sons computer on his own instead of paying $200 to get it fixed. Took about a good 10 hours of reading online and consulting computer people, then he fixed it on his own. My son is very careful now about using his computer.

looneymom424
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yea I would contact them and tell them you want your money back I did that with Defender Pro when I bought it and it wouldn't work on the computer.
Quoting wishbearmom:

Funny you should mention viruses. Kaspersky came with my computer when I purchased it a year and a half ago. I had to pay for the second year, but my work from home job involves my immediate supervisor monitoring my performance remotely in real time. Saturday I ended up with 3 Heur Trojans and 65 infected files that neither Kaspersky nor malwarebytes could fix. I called Kaspersky tech support, and they directed me to Albion, and while they removed my Trojans successfully, it cost me a whopping $300 and they had to disable Kaspersky and install Microsoft Essentials, so the antivirus software I'd paid to renew was money down the drain! I now have a year of unlimitedĀ  remote tech support, and I couldn't take my computer anywhere because I would have lost work time (and been in deep trouble because this is our crazy busy time; I have 218 scheduled hours plus additional hours tacked on to almost every shift), but I am beyond frustrated with the whole issue. Likely one of my supervisors inadvertently infected my computer. It's the nature of the beast. But I don't understand is why Kaspersky sent me elsewhere, and why I had to pay AGAIN!

looneymom424
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Wow I would go crazy I have no idea what I am doing...my son tried to fix mine but it didn't work.
Quoting 1kidmomajm:

My husband who doesn't like to spend money, figured out how to fix my sons computer on his own instead of paying $200 to get it fixed. Took about a good 10 hours of reading online and consulting computer people, then he fixed it on his own. My son is very careful now about using his computer.

wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

They claimed they're antivirus but they can't defend against Trojans. But...what's the point then?! And why was my call to them rerouted to Albion? Kaspersky and Albion must be linked somehow. Someone is clearly making a profit!

Quoting looneymom424:

Yea I would contact them and tell them you want your money back I did that with Defender Pro when I bought it and it wouldn't work on the computer.
Quoting wishbearmom:

Funny you should mention viruses. Kaspersky came with my computer when I purchased it a year and a half ago. I had to pay for the second year, but my work from home job involves my immediate supervisor monitoring my performance remotely in real time. Saturday I ended up with 3 Heur Trojans and 65 infected files that neither Kaspersky nor malwarebytes could fix. I called Kaspersky tech support, and they directed me to Albion, and while they removed my Trojans successfully, it cost me a whopping $300 and they had to disable Kaspersky and install Microsoft Essentials, so the antivirus software I'd paid to renew was money down the drain! I now have a year of unlimited  remote tech support, and I couldn't take my computer anywhere because I would have lost work time (and been in deep trouble because this is our crazy busy time; I have 218 scheduled hours plus additional hours tacked on to almost every shift), but I am beyond frustrated with the whole issue. Likely one of my supervisors inadvertently infected my computer. It's the nature of the beast. But I don't understand is why Kaspersky sent me elsewhere, and why I had to pay AGAIN!

Snowl
by Snowl :) on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I use AVG from grisoft.com, the free version, along with Zone Alarm. 

looneymom424
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would gripe to Kaspersky alot I am just that way

Quoting wishbearmom:

They claimed they're antivirus but they can't defend against Trojans. But...what's the point then?! And why was my call to them rerouted to Albion? Kaspersky and Albion must be linked somehow. Someone is clearly making a profit!

Quoting looneymom424:

Quoting wishbearmom:

PinkButterfly66
by Sister on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We use McAfee security.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Kaspersky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)