Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Speaking of DIY....

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 159 Total Views
1 mom liked this

How many of you are do it yourselfers? Do you try to fix, create, or do things on your own first? Or do you call in the big guns from the get go?

I'm personally a do it yourselfer (at least for things that seem easy enough.) I recently bit off a bit more than I could chew with ceiling repairs...but I'm determined not to spend thousands of dollars on something I can do myself. We had a leak last winter and it caused the paint on my ceiling to bubble (the previous owners must have used latex paint.) Like an idiot...I poked it causing a hole in the paint. Then I poked some more. Now I had a pretty sad looking ceiling and there wasn't much to do but get out the scrapers and begin getting rid of all the bubbled up paint. In doing so...I discovered some mold under the latex paint. So...I had to cut out sheet rock...put in some new pieces...tape and re-spackle. My husband was quite impressed!!! LOL

I now just have to paint the ceiling and I am painting my walls as well! I will show you what it looks like when I'm finished. Unfortunately...I didn't get pictures of the bubbled up paint...but I did take pictures of the icky ceiling once I tore it apart..and my sand/spackle job! LOL

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I was a great DIY gal but cannot right now...I hope to be back to my old self again soon....my house is almost 100 years old and needs lots of upkeep.
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

OMG! My hat goes off to you! Years ago, when we owned our home, I tried to hang a pic on the wall. Big assed mistake. My poor thumb took the hit! Ray can do some home repairs, not alot. So, I would maybe like to learn some. But, not I'm really not good at DIY!

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Our house was built in the later 1800's. It's had a LOT done to it and it's been well maintained, but still needs things done.

Quoting rojastarr:

I was a great DIY gal but cannot right now...I hope to be back to my old self again soon....my house is almost 100 years old and needs lots of upkeep.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have only watched contractors enough to have a general idea of how to do things. Most can be done, but it's time consuming and a lot of work. Especially my kitchen because I have to totally strip it and put it back together again before my kids get home so I can make dinner!  I won't do plumbing though!!! That is WAY out of my league!

Quoting Mariagma3:

OMG! My hat goes off to you! Years ago, when we owned our home, I tried to hang a pic on the wall. Big assed mistake. My poor thumb took the hit! Ray can do some home repairs, not alot. So, I would maybe like to learn some. But, not I'm really not good at DIY!

firelites
by Anne on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I just repainted my bathroom

looneymom424
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My dad used to help us do things when my hubby worked I would never try something big like drywall or building stairs.  Now that my hubby doesnt work and is disabled he tries to do it himself.  But somethings he needs help we get the neighbor down the hill to do the heavy lifting.

Snowl
by Snowl :) on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

So far I have only painted, hung stuff on walls, and changed the locks out on the outside door and an inside door. I rent now so I just tell the landlord LOL.

pasteeater_too
by Mrs. Jeter on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I have a Facebook group that links to various things. We get lots of DIY but nothing as hard as ceilings!  I admire you for that.  I could never do that!

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a diy'er because I'm cheap. If I can find a Youtube video to teach me, then it's on!

Alwaysmotivated
by Loving Life on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I call someone in with a quickness.  I have two paintings needing to be hung on the wall.. Any helpers out there :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)