Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

how do you seriously get kids to eat veggies in their school lunch

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 320 Total Views
I know the perfect moms send veggies in their kids lunches. But mine is in the phase of not eating veggies unless they are hidden. I hide them in dinner, but lunch is harder. Any suggestions? I can't see sending something he won't eat.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I dont do alot of veggies in lunches.  Raw carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, raw broccoli (rarely, but I have).  That is about it for veggies in lunches.  They have two every night at dinner.  

But then I never claimed to be a perfect mom.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Do your kids actuallylike veggies? I think i am going to cheat and.buy the v8 that has veggies in it.

Quoting sahlady:

I dont do alot of veggies in lunches.  Raw carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, raw broccoli (rarely, but I have).  That is about it for veggies in lunches.  They have two every night at dinner.  

MariannLws
by Sister on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I only pack fresh fruit and veggies. I've been lucky that our daughter loves fruits and vegetables and haven't had any issues getting her to eat them. 

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

some.  Tonight we had sweet potatoes cut and roasted.  It was a request from my daughter, I dont do a lot of starches and hadnt made them in years.  We also had zucchini cut and roasted... they both ate it.  Im not sure that they loved it, but I dont care because they ate it.

We usually do two veggies a night and they eat it.  Again, not sure that they like them but they eat them.  V8 has a ton of salt, I bet you can find better veggie drinks if you feel that is the way you must go.  I know our market has some veggie drinks but they are individually sold and would be much more expensive.  Perhaps try cooking your veggies differently.  I know growing up I was NOT a fan of veggies but I had never had a fresh veggie.  My mom bought canned veggies and frankly not only are they really gross but the texture is icky too.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Do your kids actuallylike veggies? I think i am going to cheat and.buy the v8 that has veggies in it.

Quoting sahlady:

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Fruit isn't a problem. The problem is having some for lunch. He eats them so fast I have to depend on juice for fruit in hislunch. Veggies are another story.

Quoting MariannLws:

I only pack fresh fruit and veggies. I've been lucky that our daughter loves fruits and vegetables and haven't had any issues getting her to eat them. 

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I was thinking v8 since it taste like fruit, but has hidden veggies. He loves juice.

Quoting sahlady:

some.  Tonight we had sweet potatoes cut and roasted.  It was a request from my daughter, I dont do a lot of starches and hadnt made them in years.  We also had zucchini cut and roasted... they both ate it.  Im not sure that they loved it, but I dont care because they ate it.

We usually do two veggies a night and they eat it.  Again, not sure that they like them but they eat them.  V8 has a ton of salt, I bet you can find better veggie drinks if you feel that is the way you must go.  I know our market has some veggie drinks but they are individually sold and would be much more expensive.  Perhaps try cooking your veggies differently.  I know growing up I was NOT a fan of veggies but I had never had a fresh veggie.  My mom bought canned veggies and frankly not only are they really gross but the texture is icky too.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

fruit?  they must have changed it since I had it.  Last time I had some it tasted like tomato juice.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I was thinking v8 since it taste like fruit, but has hidden veggies. He loves juice.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

KW1280
by Silver sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X

Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a recipe book on hiding veggies in your child's favorite food

http://www.oprah.com/food/Recipes-by-Jessica-Seinfeld
Snowl
by Snowl :) on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Most of the kids I have seen in Pre-K and public school only eat veggies if they can dip them in ranch dressing.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
They have a blended one now, has veggies taste llike fruit.

Quoting sahlady:

fruit?  they must have changed it since I had it.  Last time I had some it tasted like tomato juice.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting sahlady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)