Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

how do you seriously get kids to eat veggies in their school lunch

I know the perfect moms send veggies in their kids lunches. But mine is in the phase of not eating veggies unless they are hidden. I hide them in dinner, but lunch is harder. Any suggestions? I can't see sending something he won't eat.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Mine is totally gross. He dips everything in ketchup. Does that count as a veggie?

Quoting Snowl:

Most of the kids I have seen in Pre-K and public school only eat veggies if they can dip them in ranch dressing.

samomama
by Ms. Fair Weather on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I am lucky my son loves veggies. He even eats raw onion. All the veggies I pack for him for day care snacks, eats them all. Now I am not sure until when this will last, considering he's only 2.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
He ate veggies at that age. He stopped about 3 1/2.

Quoting samomama:

I am lucky my son loves veggies. He even eats raw onion. All the veggies I pack for him for day care snacks, eats them all. Now I am not sure until when this will last, considering he's only 2.

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not had this problem since raw fruits and veggies have been a staple of their diets since they were tiny and they prefer them to junk food. Not that they would turn down chips when offered lol. There are some creative kids cookbooks out there and you can get the kids involved in picking out and preparing their own lunches! Good Luck.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I have about given up on the veggies in lunches. They either toss it..or leave it. I have been creative and added it to other foods like carrot muffin cookies etc...Tomato soup is good for my kids but typically speaking I don't bother with lunch time. It's a waste. They get their veggies at dinner...and we always have a supply of fresh fruit or veggies for snack time (sliced cucumbers...celery with peanut butter...carrots with ranch dressing etc...

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

this reminds me...My sister was sending home made humus to PRE-school with her son for snack..He came home and said..."Mom, I love humus but can I only eat it at home?" He's ONLY 4 and falling to peer pressure.

Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM
My older son (14) has always loves salads ( no ice burg lettuce, the lettuces that have a nutritional value. Yeah, weird. :-) he used to eat fresh spinach like potato chips and still loves to eat sweet peppers like apples. Add a lil honey mustard, and he great.

This is good because he's not good at eating at other's houses except pizza... and salad. He will not eat cooked veggies except asparagus.

My three yr old is still very picky.... Peas and carrots and raw sweet peppers. Roasted asparagus than my dad does are a favorite. ( I hope he expands like big bro, though!
opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Have you considered the v8 juice?

Quoting Maida265:

I have about given up on the veggies in lunches. They either toss it..or leave it. I have been creative and added it to other foods like carrot muffin cookies etc...Tomato soup is good for my kids but typically speaking I don't bother with lunch time. It's a waste. They get their veggies at dinner...and we always have a supply of fresh fruit or veggies for snack time (sliced cucumbers...celery with peanut butter...carrots with ranch dressing etc...

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I need that mac and cheese recipe.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

Try the low sodium v8.  When I make mac & cheese I use a recipe that has one square of frozen squash in it, that is the only recipe I hide veggies in.  I went to school lunch & watched how much food gets tossed.  Helped kids open their packs of baby carrots. Some kids ate a couple but almost all the veggies were tossed. I setting my expectations low at lunch, It's total chaos. we will do good breakfast & dinner. My daughter isn't a big fan of vegetables, but sometimes she surprises me. I just offer very small portions and often have to beg her at dinner to try things. If she's willing & will eat more I will give her more. I hate seeing how much food is wasted trying to feed kids right.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been lucky with sweetpea...she'd eat broccoli over fries since she's been able to eat food lol...

That being said the v8 sounds good if he'll drink it.  Also cooking some veggies into muffins like zucchini, carrots etc. works too.  I agree check out Seinfeld's recipes and you might find a few that work for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)