Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

DEbate question 9/26

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM
  • 43 Replies
  • 500 Total Views

I was watching the news and saw that two boys were suspended from school for the rest of the year. The reason was because they were playing with a air gun on private property and waiting for the bus. A neighbour saw them and instead of calling the parents they called the school.

Should the school be able to suspend these two boys since they were NOT on school property?

Thoughts?

VIRGINIA BEACH (CNN) - Two boys in Virginia are suspended from middle school for the entire year because police said they were shooting an air gun while waiting for the bus.

Both seventh graders said they were far from the bus and on private property.

The school board said the boys' actions were a threat to student safety.

"I'm just amazed that they feel they are more suitable to discipline my child than I am. I feel like they feel they are better parent than I am," said Tim Clark.

But the boys and their parents say the so-called weapon at the center of this case is just a toy.

"It's an air soft gun it's meant for shooting at a target and that's what we were doing," student Khalid Caraballo said.

Caraballo admits to shooting at two other friends, but said he never took the gun off the family's private property.

The principal said other kids were on their way to the bus stop when they were hit with the pellets, so the school has jurisdiction.

A hearing will be held in January to determine if the boys will be allowed back in school.

Virginia Beach police said no one will be charged in the case

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Solo_Fan
by Sister on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I say "No" to that.  The school should have nothing to do with it. They were not on school property.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I say "no" to that as well. If police were called, then it would be a private matter between local police/ the boys or the boys parents. The school is responsible only when the kids are in their custody (on a bus to and from school) and in or on school property.

Brooklynchic
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM

i say no as well.. if that woman had a problem with those kids ,say something to the parent.let the parents deal with it  my boys have huge water guns and play outside all summer and fall long  ,say something to me not their school..btw  whats an air gun??like the nerf guns?

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I had something happen to my son at the bus stop and the school never got involved. It was handled between me and the other parent. I think schools only have the right to do something if it was directly towards school. Bashing a student or a fight would be different because most fights start out at school. I think this went to far and these boys are losing school time and this isnt fair to them.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM

It is a gun for target practice some have nerf type and then other might not.

Quoting Brooklynchic:

i say no as well.. if that woman had a problem with those kids ,say something to the parent.let the parents deal with it  my boys have huge water guns and play outside all summer and fall long  ,say something to me not their school..btw  whats an air gun??like the nerf guns?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM

ahh this reminds me of an incident when I was in HS...  2 boys started to fight, one pulled a knife and then all hell broke loose (no one was hurt by the way) but then school bus pulled up/driver out and stopped fight.  the school suspended both kids.... the police arrested the one w/the knife later for assault (he was 17) and the city stepped in.... later is was ruled that the school had authority as it was a school regulated bus stop (area).

So to answer your question I feel in this sort of situation where a child could have been hurt the school has the right as it was on "their" time/place.  BUT if it had been in their OWN yard/not anywhere near the bus stop then no as it was private property and not a bus stop area.  As for the kids heading to the bus stop their parents should take it up with the boys parents not the school.

leenrs
by New sister on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg we played army all the time as kids. Its a toy. We have gone off deep end. Guns r not the issue...people r. I would not be happt was my child
rzmamma
by Sharon on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM

If the boys were still on the family property and not yet at the bus stop, then I don't think that the school should have been able to suspend the boys. However, if they were at the school bus stop, then the school is correct, that is within their jurisdiction. A friend of mine had an issue with the high school several years back when her son was being bullied and threatened by a boy at the school bus stop. It all escalated to a fight at the school and the boy who was making the threats at the bus stop was expelled. He had made threats to kill my friend's son and their family.

i want to add that I don't agree with the harshness of the punishment and I think the neighbor should have spoken to the parents first.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver sister on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM

If it didn't happen on school property. Then no they should not be suspended.

luvnature
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM

where I live the only time the school gets involved is if students are on actual school grounds or on board the school bus. schools can't get involved at bus stop because around here buses pick up students at their homes and our homes are OUR property, not the school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN