Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Does anyone else do this before they go away?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 222 Total Views
Good morning, everyone! I actually got to sleep in this morning and it was wonderful! However, now I'm running behind getting all the things done that need to be before we go away this weekend. Funny thing is, I just realized that I've been doing something counter-productive and I've been doing it for years! I have been running around like a crazy woman trying to clean the house from top to bottom before we go away. For what? It's definitely not going to be clean when I get home, (24 yr old ss will make sure of that!) Apparently, it's something I have always done, (my wonderful mother called my attention to it during our daily phone call this morning). So, now the question is: do I continue to engage in this counterproductive activity or do I just say the heck with it and deal with the messy house when I get back? My house is never truly dirty, (I'm a bit of a neat freak). Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this! Anyway, hope everyone has a great Thursday.
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I like to come home to a clean house, so I can see why you would clean if no one was home to mess it up...but in your case I would just tell the 22 yr SS to make sure it was clean before you get back..sweepingwashing dishesshopping and restock the frig! haha

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to do it too, but in the past couple of years I have realized it's a futile effort so I concentrate on the kitchen, no dirty dishes in the sink and no food to go bad in the fridge.  Then just make sure the rest of the house is "picked up" so I don't come home to a complete disaster...If it's just me going away, then I have ot make dinner for the family....which my husband has also told me to stop (even though he is disabled and cannot make meals himself) if it's just a day or two, they order pizza or eat frozen dinners.  Saving me the craziness.

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

JUST NOTICED ALL THESE CLEANING SWEET PEAS ARE FEMALE! What's up with that???mowing the lawnbarbecuingshe's even doing the outdoor "man" choirs..hmm. but look...he gets to play!!!ice skatingsnowboardingluge hmm..... 

samomama
by Ms. Fair Weather on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I like coming back home and seeing the house in quasy-order. Dusting before leaving the house is useless, since in two days it piles up again. But if I put all the stuff where it belonges, it will stay there. So we do that much before leaving the house. And also, DH unplags all the electric appliances in the house, except for the fridge. 

rojastarr
by Fang Slayer on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess that I would make sure dishes are done, perishables tossed and then go on vacation and relax
wishbearmom
by Ruby sister on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I am that way as well. I like the idea of coming home to a clean house, even though with my daughter staying here the reality is much different. There will be dog hair everywhere, dishes in the sink, and lots of her clutter.

maine1014
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I always clean the house before we go away, not that it happens alot. But I want to come home and not have to do any cleaning

Brooklynchic
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

i also.ike to come home to a clean neat house.. your not alone lol

citygirl1107
by Sister on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
That sounds about right! I board our small dog with a kennel when we go away, (my ss will not take care of him) but our big dog stays home. Last year, when we took this trip, I cleaned like a mad woman and came home to a house full of mud, and (true story!) Cigarette butts in our shower! Of course, I freaked out! Love the idea of coming home to a clean house, but of course, I'm always disappointed. Cooking is my passion, so our freezer almost always has soups, chilis, sauces, etc so even if it's only me going away, they always have something they can fix. However, if my ss is the only one home, dishes never get done. I think that I really need to stop fooling myself and just let it go til I get home. Of course, I'll straighten up, and make sure things are tidy, but the actual washing floors, etc will just have to wait! Thanks, ladies! Glad to know I'm not alone!
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I do this too, but the only mess I come back to is needing to clean the litter box.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)