Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going in half on the engagement ring - thoughts?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 35 Replies
  • 467 Total Views
1 mom liked this

On The Today Show this morning they said that there is a new trend where the girl and guy go in halves on the engagement ring.

Thoughts?  

And would it matter if this was:

a first marriage and both were young?

a first marriage but they already had a child and/or living together?

a second (or more) marriage?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Stiletto on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh I don't know about this...I think I'm just too traditional. We've lost so many of our original customs due to society thinking we should be more about show. I don't think it matters if you have a rock the size of TX or a speck of a diamond. It's the love behind the gesture that is truly valuable.

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Well... My mom bought my wedding rings as a gift...that was 27 years ago... I sold them for a little nicer set then last year melted them down for the price of the gold..Not much of a jewelry person.

so with that said... What ever gets them there...so to speak.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

wow... that is a thoughtful and very unique gift.  So I assumed he proposed with out a ring.

Quoting jmlmomma:

Well... My mom bought my wedding rings as a gift...that was 27 years ago... I sold them for a little nicer set then last year melted them down for the price of the gold..Not much of a jewelry person.

sharon6345
by Shady on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I he bought my ring and I lost is and I bought the replacement ring. 

Lori942
by Gold sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree...some things just need to stay the same!  My diamond in my ring is not huge but I would never ever trade it in to get something bigger. 

Quoting Maida265:

Oh I don't know about this...I think I'm just too traditional. We've lost so many of our original customs due to society thinking we should be more about show. I don't think it matters if you have a rock the size of TX or a speck of a diamond. It's the love behind the gesture that is truly valuable.

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

YEP..haha... it was kind of funny...

He called me at my job!! My boss thought something must of been wrong because I NEVER got calls... So when I came back to work, my bossed asked if everything was ok...I said "yep, I've just gotta get married" You should of seen his face!...I had to clarify...My now husband had found out he was being transferred with no warning...he was told move in 3 weeks or be without a job..So he panicked and called me...he didn't want to move without me! LOL... we had already been talking about getting married but were planning it a year from then... So we threw together a wedding in 3 weeks and it was amazing and going 27 years strong...

Quoting sahlady:

wow... that is a thoughtful and very unique gift.  So I assumed he proposed with out a ring.

Quoting jmlmomma:

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

before or after the wedding?

Quoting sharon6345:

I he bought my ring and I lost is and I bought the replacement ring. 

ALolies
by 'Lil Feather' H.A. on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

DIL wanted a certain set that was out of DSs reach. They discussed it and decided she should go ahead and get the rings that she wanted instead of settling. They picked out and paid for their rings together. I see nothing wrong with it if it what the couple decide on.

KW1280
by Silver sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting Maida265:

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Ok all i can think of is if they dont get married ( which would be sad) who would keep the ring if they both put $ in on it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)