Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

(i lied) this is the last engagement ring question....

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 381 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Your engagement ring....

did he choose it?  If so, with or with out hints?

is it a family ring?

do you choose it?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have one. I do have my wedding ring and an anniversary ring, but not a diamond. This was sort of my choice and partially a decision we made based on finances at the time. The line of work I do, I really can't have a rock sticking up on my finger.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hubby and I had picked out and ordered matching rings. When they came in mine were defective. I was devistated because I didn't have time to order another set and have them by my engagement party. And we were POOR!!!! So without my knowing, hubby went to the local pawn shop and picked out a set he could afford (not really but, you know). It was and is a beatuiful set. I love it. He did upgrade me for our 5th anniversary with a half five stone band.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

hubs picked mine out.  we hadnt even really talked (concretely) about marriage, we had only been dating 6 months.  It is lovely, thought not really my style.  I rarely wear it because the diamond is too heavy for the width of the band, but the band is scrolled so I can not enlarge the band.  When I wear the ring it slides around on my finger until the diamond is in my palm.

he, on more than one occasion, has offered to buy a new ring... but he was SO excited that he picked it out himself that even if he acts like it is no big deal.... i know it is.

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

We got married when I was 17 and he was 19. We had one 13 month old,a nd I was 7 months pregnant with my dd. We only had enough for a wedding band for me. Christmas 1994, 12 1/2 years after we married, my DH surprised me with a diamond engagement ring. He went to a jeweler and designed it himself. I love it so much. He says he would like to trade it in and get me a bigger diamond, but I told him no way!!

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

very sweet!

Quoting kaarina:

He went to a jeweler and designed it himself. I love it so much. He says he would like to trade it in and get me a bigger diamond, but I told him no way!!

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We picked out our rings together and I pretty much paid for the set.  He was still in college and I had a good paying job so it was no big deal.  It was a tiny little diamond chip that I lost about 7 years ago so I haven't worn it for that long.  For  our 10th anniversary he designed an anniversary band for me that I LOVE...then for our 25th anniversary he bought me a 3 carat diamond ring.  I picked it out!  I LOVE it.  I've always wanted one giant diamond ring and now I have it.  Need to get my anniversary ring sized for my right hand so I can wear that one too!  I told him I don't need any more diamonds  LOL

wagners7
by Sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

We picked it out together.  

1squishysmom
by Silver sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The diamond was from his grandmother's engagement ring. Neither of us cared for the setting it was in. It made the diamond look even smaller than it really was, so we picked a new setting. It still doesn't look very big, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

We set aside the wedding ring that matched her engagement for our future daughter. 18 years later, we realized we were not having daughters and our niece was planning her wedding, so the weekend before her wedding we told her that she could borrow it for something old and something borrowed. After the wedding, she gave it back and I handed it right back to her. So now she has her Great Grandmother's wedding ring. Her 1st child was a girl, so it will be handed down to her.

L.A.F.outloud
by Bronze sister on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM

The first ring he gave me was his ex girlfriends.  The second one we chose together a couple years later, and the ring I wear now is a wedding band with a small diamond in it.  I got that several months ago.

tnwp21
by Starchild on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

My husband and I decided to get married and we didn't have much money so, I picked out an inexpensive ring and there was no fancy proposal or anything.  Four years later I was pregnant and I couldn't get my wedding rings on my finger.  So we were having dinner (celebrating our anniversary) when he gave me a box, I thought it was earrings, I had been hinting, it was a 1.25 carat princess cut engagement ring and wedding band in white gold. Two years later he gave me a diamond anniversary band.  Lately, sometimes I just wear both bands.

happy anniversary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN