Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Petty Pet-Peeve

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 412 Total Views

I admit this is petty. I know in marriage, motherhood and life in general something could be worse; and pick your battles.

But i just gotta vent about my husband buying Vertical window blinds!

In our old house, we had blinds. In our new house, we have blinds. They break, the kids bend 'em and they get dusty. I'm short and it ain't easy to take 'em down to wash.

In our last house, we had 5 windows in our entrance room and every morning to let in maximum light, because it was a darker, older house, I pulled 'em up. But they would pull up crooked, not completely vertical. i battled to straighten them but i'm a busy woman, and would just pull 'em and make do. My husband would complain that it looked sloppy.

So we moved to another house, and there were the old blinds in a big picture window. We're still getting settled so I didn't done anything with them yet. The kids pulled on the ends, the strings were weak, and they hung crooked.

I told my husband I wanted to put up curtains. Being frugal as well as busy, I'd never invested in curtains. But now I wanted to do what I'd wanted for years. He said the kids would hang off of them and pull them down, but i say they're less breakable than blinds, and easier to wash.

So what does he do?

He goes shopping and buys new blinds. Ugh!

They are newer and brighter and look nice. But on Day 2 of them being up, my toddler already pulled on them and bent two blinds though this time they bounced back. This morning I pulled them up, and 2 sets on this 3-paned window are already crooked.

I'm so annoyed.

years of window blinds i hate!

should i go get curtains now? or just live with this stupid thorn in my side?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Stiletto on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Get the curtains...it will be worth your peace of mind.

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

get curtains now.  lifes too short to be living with a thorn in your side.

in  my opinion. if you have the means i would get them right away.

not wait another day at all.

choose happiness. and if that means curtains. by golly get curtains.

BL2010
by BL on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I say go for the curtains. I don't like blinds either. 

flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM

There are so many options for window treatments. No way should you live with crappy ones.  Just tell him thanks for fixing the problem temporarily, then do what you want when you get the time.

hers's a site for ideas

http://www.smithandnoble.com/category/curtains-drapes

loridori4
by Sister on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I hate mini blinds too! I went with Roman shades and then a shear curtain over them. The shears were really inexpensive...got em at a discount store. 

Roman shades were about $30 each I think. Shop around. 

Roman shades have the string...so when you pull them open be sure to loop the string up high so the little ones can't reach it! 

lookbothways
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Curtains for you :)

Fayanne
by Fay on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Get the curtains. !!!!!!

(then you can do a silent "see? I told you so!" ...lol)

Fayanne
by Fay on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting buttersworth:

He said the kids would hang off of them and pull them down,

newer blinds shouldn't have strings.. they're a strangling danger to little kids, but do your kids regularly hang on things they aren't supposed to anyway?

Life is divine chaos
Embrace it.  Forgive  yourself.   Breathe
           And enjoy the ride....   

BL2010
by BL on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM

LMAO... why be silent about it. 

Quoting Fayanne:

Get the curtains. !!!!!!

Fayanne
by Fay on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I've learned in relationships, it's best to let them 'see' that on their own, rather than just rub it right in... lol. Even though many times I'd love to rub it right in.

(example, my middle dd wanted to make a showmanship jacket for someone, and was going to make a ton of money doing so. I told her she was way in over her head. She wouldn't hear of it. So.. she dove right in. MONTHS later, she learned 1) they take a lot longer to make than you'd think, 2) they cost a lot more money to make than you'd think, and 3) she really doesn't have the technical skills to just pull this off on her own. So, when she finally got it finished 5 months later, I quietly said "I would recommend you don't offer to do this again" she wholeheartedly agreed ! lol...)

Quoting BL2010:

LMAO... why be silent about it. 

Quoting Fayanne:

Get the curtains. !!!!!!

Life is divine chaos
Embrace it.  Forgive  yourself.   Breathe
           And enjoy the ride....   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)