Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

healthy food debate

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 237 Total Views
1 mom liked this
Let's keep this nice. So everyone is saying the government should only allow fs recipients to only buy healthy food.Let's not turn this into a fs debate. I know fs recipients can buy pop but not coffee because it is hot. This makes no sense to me. Hot tea is.better than pop, but since it is hot it isn't allowed.

Chips are considered junk food, the only time I buy them is for nachos or a casserole or maybe a picnic. The government wants us to eat veggies, but most veggies in the store are gmos. I prefer home grown. Cheese has a lot of fat, but I consider it healthy. I consider corn unhealthy, to much sugar. I will only eat white bread, but wheat is healthier.would the government mandate wheat ? I will eat more white bread. The government is pushing 1% milk or skim. My son will only drink 2% or whole. I am happy he is at least drinking milk. No matter what kind.

Granola bars some people consider them unhealthy. I disagree. Better than candy.trail mix I consider healthy, Most people say too much salt. Vienna and balogna I consider healthy, better than candy for a snack.but most people will say unhealthy. So if government goes to just healthy food, where will they draw theline ? Is canned fruit and veggies acceptable for healthy or unhealthy? If v you put cake on the don't buy list, they can go home and make one from scratch. You will never stop unhealthy eating. Who get to decide what is and isn't healthy. Besides it will never stop unhealthy eating. Zucchini cake considered unhealthy but if that is the only way I can get my kid to eat veggies, I will make it. Any veggie is better than no veggie.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM
No help I don't personally eat as healthy as I should but try to buy what's healthy for my son.

But as for the soda vs hot coffee .....

I may have misunderstood but-

I'm assuming you mean store made coffee or fountain drinks and that isn't allowed as it's considered a prepared food like say a hot rotisserie chicken isn't allowed or store made subs.

Idk why and agree with you partly as I was floored one year when a friend purchased Easter baskets with food stamps and a ton of Halliween candy smh.

I do buy not so healthy things with my Fs but not all the time.

EDIT Lol see what I get for not reading the entire post!

I see what you did here and those are good questions .
PinkButterfly66
by Sister on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:11 AM

You're kidding, coffee is not allowed?  That makes no sense at all.

Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I'm waiting for her to reply but I think she means prepared coffee like You get at gas station or Dunkin donuts ...

I may be wrong and it's funny that's what I jumped on and her post is more than that aspect :)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You're kidding, coffee is not allowed?  That makes no sense at all.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I was in the store inline behind a girl trying to purchase coffee with fs. They told her coffee wasn't allowed because it was hot. I was like Wtf its not pop. No sugar in coffee but pop is allowed. I am like ok???? This got me to wondering she had coffee and a banana. And now they say coffee is good for you. But you can't buy ith fs? I'm confused.

Quoting Maxamista:

No help I don't personally eat as healthy as I should but try to buy what's healthy for my son.

I'm assuming you mean store made coffee or fountain drinks and that isn't allowed as it's considered a prepared food like say a hot rotisserie chicken isn't allowed or store made subs.

Idk why and agree with you partly as I was floored one year when a friend purchased Easter baskets with food stamps and a ton of Halliween candy smh.

Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM
So you mean a prepared already coffee right?

Not coffee you make yourself at home with a coffee maker.

Yeah it's considered prepared food it's stupid I agree.

Considering like you said bottles of soda can be purchased junk etc

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I was in the store inline behind a girl trying to purchase coffee with fs. They told her coffee wasn't allowed because it was hot. I was like Wtf its not pop. No sugar in coffee but pop is allowed. I am like ok???? This got me to wondering she had coffee and a banana. And now they say coffee is good for you. But you can't buy ith fs? I'm confused.

Quoting Maxamista:

wolfybaby
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:38 AM

things that have little-to-no nutritional value. chips, packaged cookies and cakes, candy, and soda. all those should not be allowed to be bought on food stamps. if i for some reason *need* some chocolate, i will pay separately with *my own* money. thats rare, though, because i usually cant afford it. ;P

fats should not be disriminated against. some people need whole milk products and fattier meats to gain weight due to a low weight. 

but no one needs sugar and junk food [chips]!! 

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:51 AM
It was already made coffee at the convenience store at 2 am. I was like you can make it at home, but not buy it made.Like someone said I would rather hot rotisserie chicken be allowed over candy. Who.came up with hot protein isn't allowed but candy is? The pre made chicken is a much better snack than candy. I buy hot already made chicken for a snack food.

Quoting Maxamista:

So you mean a prepared already coffee right?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Maxamista:

Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:53 AM
I thought so and that was me who mentioned the chicken lmao

Quoting opinionatedmom:It was already made coffee at the convenience store at 2 am. I was like you can make it at home, but not buy it made.Like someone said I would rather hot rotisserie chicken be allowed over candy. Who.came up with hot protein isn't allowed but candy is? The pre made chicken is a much better snack than candy. I buy hot already made chicken for a snack food.

Quoting Maxamista:So you mean a prepared already coffee right?

Quoting opinionatedmom:I was in the store inline behind a girl trying to purchase coffee with fs. They told her coffee wasn't allowed because it was hot. I was like Wtf its not pop. No sugar in coffee but pop is allowed. I am like ok???? This got me to wondering she had coffee and a banana. And now they say coffee is good for you. But you can't buy ith fs? I'm confused.

Quoting Maxamista: No help I don't personally eat as healthy as I should but try to buy what's healthy for my son.

opinionatedmom
by Gold sister on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I agree but am split on whether the chips are allowed. I only buy chips about once every 2 months for nachos or a casserole. But you can't keep some people from eating them daily. Those who abuse it and buy chips for daily consumption hurt the people who seldom buy them. I only buy tortilla chips and could make my own, but just easier to buy premade. I can't make nacho cheese which is my preference.

Quoting wolfybaby:

things that have little-to-no nutritional value. chips, packaged cookies and cakes, candy, and soda. all those should not be allowed to be bought on food stamps. if i for some reason *need* some chocolate, i will pay separately with *my own* money. thats rare, though, because i usually cant afford it. ;P

fats should not be disriminated against. some people need whole milk products and fattier meats to gain weight due to a low weight. 

wolfybaby
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM

tortilla chips are almost a cooking/baking ingredient. potato chips and flavored chips should be banned. tortilla chips are fine. in my opinion, its ok to discriminate between those two because of the use for them. i dont know many people who just eat tortilla chips lol!

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I agree but am split on whether the chips are allowed. I only buy chips about once every 2 months for nachos or a casserole. But you can't keep some people from eating them daily. Those who abuse it and buy chips for daily consumption hurt the people who seldom buy them. I only buy tortilla chips and could make my own, but just easier to buy premade. I can't make nacho cheese which is my preference.

Quoting wolfybaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)