Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Do you or anyone in your family hunt?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 45 Replies
  • 491 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I ask this because I realized it's opening day of duck season & I inherited my dads' duck club membership, but it hasn't sold yet. I fought to get his guns, duck/goose calls, hunting gear (for my kids to use) & they are just sitting here. I just got a visual of what hunting at that club today would look like, which would include a very bad dog who wouldn't mind, would try to retrieve everyone's birds, and hump female dogs...then of course there would be the mangled calling of ducks and not being able to hit anything to bring it down. Pretty sure there would be a tragic accident waiting for me and my dog by the other members if we tried. lol

Just wondering if you or anyone else hunts and do you like the meat?

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I have hunted...and have a hunting license. I've done a firearms safety course and did the whole deer camp thing (although it's been about 12 years now since I've done that.) I've mostly hunted deer...never did get into duck hunting or pheasant...or any sort of bird (even turkey.)

I love being out in the woods 1:1 with nature and not sure I could ever really shoot to kill an animal (thankfully I was never presented with that opportunity.) I have shot some with my camera!! LOL

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

We hunt at the grocery store... Lol... My dad was an avid hunter in his younger days. And yes, I love wild game (not rabbit or squirrel)... If it's cooked right.

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

No.........not me personally, but remember I am Canadian, so there is alot hunting going on around here, bird season started here about a month ago, deer season starts on Mon.  I went once but apparently I'm too loud to sneak up on anything so I never went again.  Not a big fan of wild meat although its very good for you.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I don't have the heart to shoot anything either, but love to take pictures!

Quoting Maida265:

I have hunted...and have a hunting license. I've done a firearms safety course and did the whole deer camp thing (although it's been about 12 years now since I've done that.) I've mostly hunted deer...never did get into duck hunting or pheasant...or any sort of bird (even turkey.)

I love being out in the woods 1:1 with nature and not sure I could ever really shoot to kill an animal (thankfully I was never presented with that opportunity.) I have shot some with my camera!! LOL

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My dad told me to soak meat in a bit of milk and the enzymes in it will pull out the gamey taste. It seems to work. My bil and dh have eaten squirrel & I tell them they're hillbillies.

Quoting ALolies:

We hunt at the grocery store... Lol... My dad was an avid hunter in his younger days. And yes, I love wild game (not rabbit or squirrel)... If it's cooked right.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I marinade if I'm cooking in the house. I use milk if hubby is grilling. Grilling can sometimes make it tough. My dad and SM love squirrel. I just have never cared for the texture. Hubby doesn't care for it either so I don't have to worry about cooking it. Lol

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

My dad told me to soak meat in a bit of milk and the enzymes in it will pull out the gamey taste. It seems to work. My bil and dh have eaten squirrel & I tell them they're hillbillies.

Quoting ALolies:

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM

My dad got a trip of a lifetime last year by going to Canada to get a moose. The club where I have a membership also has elk and it is some of the best meat I've ever had because they eat the corn, meant for the ducks. Doesn't have that gamey taste at all, but I don't like a lot of wild game either.

Quoting secondcup5:

No.........not me personally, but remember I am Canadian, so there is alot hunting going on around here, bird season started here about a month ago, deer season starts on Mon.  I went once but apparently I'm too loud to sneak up on anything so I never went again.  Not a big fan of wild meat although its very good for you.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM

No I dont and I dont eat the meat either.. My hub use to and then he stop because I wouldnt cook it for him...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My dh watches a lot of hunting shows and I was so surprised by the amount of game in Texas. It would be a great place to be if you're a hunter!

Quoting dana63:

No I dont and I dont eat the meat either.. My hub use to and then he stop because I wouldnt cook it for him...

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Lol that's how it probably would go for me. Guns make me nervous so no I don't hunt. My dad used to but stopped I'm not sure why. Maybe it had something to do with going to Vietnam...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)