Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Do You Volunteer and Make a Difference to someone?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

Make a Difference Day

When: The fourth Saturday in October

Initiated in 1990, this is a national day is for devoted to helping others by doing volunteer work in the community. The activity can be almost anything. On this day, millions of Americans participate in community improvement projects. It takes the form of cleanup, fixup, painting, and repair in poorer neighborhoods, parks and municipal facilities. It doesn't matter what project you take on. It doesn't matter whether you help a non-profit organization, the community, your town, nursing home, a church, a food kitchen, or any other group in need. What matters is that you participate.

Make a commitment to help others for just one day. Make a difference on Make a Difference Day!

Did You Know? Each year on Make a Difference Day, ex-President Jimmie Carter gets out his hammer and saw, and helps to build or rebuild housing in underprivileged areas. There is not better example of people helping others than this! 

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

We love make a diffrence day :) are family does a lot of voulenteer work threw hubbys work and around are community not just on make a diffrence day 

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Quoting ChellBell2013:

We love make a diffrence day :) are family does a lot of voulenteer work threw hubbys work and around are community not just on make a diffrence day 

That's awesome I think it's great when we help others out.

macmomsangel
by Sister on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I volunteer at a day care center.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Quoting macmomsangel:

What a wonderful thing to do. Have you ever thought about volunteering reading at an elementary school or helping out in the cafeteria at all?

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Not lately, but have found many one day volunteer opportunities that have been a lot of fun, such as running the photo booth at The Nutcracker, and I got a job out of a regular volunteer stint at a homeless shelter.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

Not lately, but have found many one day volunteer opportunities that have been a lot of fun, such as running the photo booth at The Nutcracker, and I got a job out of a regular volunteer stint at a homeless shelter.

Good things come sometimes from our volunteer work.

macmomsangel
by Sister on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Quoting macmomsangel:

What a wonderful thing to do. Have you ever thought about volunteering reading at an elementary school or helping out in the cafeteria at all?

While my kids were in school I did a lot of volunteering at their schools. I just prefer working with toddlers now. It is so fun to watch them learn.
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting macmomsangel:

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Quoting macmomsangel:

While my kids were in school I did a lot of volunteering at their schools. I just prefer working with toddlers now. It is so fun to watch them learn.

It makes a huge difference at the toddler/preschool age good for you!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I've been wanting to volunteer at the hospital near me. Wonder if it could help lead me to jobs? I love to help people!

idunno1234
by Sister on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a CASA, the best thing EVER.

Although, I'm not going to lie....its not necessarily for the faint of heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)