Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Handing out Halloween candy. Do you...

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 270 Total Views
1 mom liked this

...Have the kids come to the door and knock or ring the doorbell? 

Or sit outside with family or friends?

I notice a lot of neighbors will get together and have a table set up with a bowl of candy from each neighbor.

They will have notes on their door directing the kids down the street to the one house they are all gathered at.

They are usually drinking and talking. Hardly paying attention to the trick or treaters. They sometimes look up and say take one from each bowl.

When I used to take my kids trick or treating I really disliked this. IDK? I think it took away from the fun.

Thoughts?

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids still walk door to door and we hand out the candy...

nussknacker
by Nutlady on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Well, if I took my kids trick or treating to peoples houses that I did not know...( I live in the country, so its different, we drive to friends houses that are expecting us) this would be super IDEAL! My son wants to trick or treat in town so bad, but I just cant to that, and I dont even know how one does that. What, you pick a certain street where there seems to be alot of activity? I have no idea. But if I knew about one of these community tables...oh that would be sweeeeeeeeet. I would feel so much better then having him knock on strangers doors!

over40bride
by Sister on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I never thought of that.

I have lived in the burbs of AZ my entire life and yeah, we just went around our neighborhood.

Most homes we didn't know the people. Just blindly trusted people I guess.

Never had an issue. We all survived. LOL but I see your point.

Quoting nussknacker:

Well, if I took my kids trick or treating to peoples houses that I did not know...( I live in the country, so its different, we drive to friends houses that are expecting us) this would be super IDEAL! My son wants to trick or treat in town so bad, but I just cant to that, and I dont even know how one does that. What, you pick a certain street where there seems to be alot of activity? I have no idea. But if I knew about one of these community tables...oh that would be sweeeeeeeeet. I would feel so much better then having him knock on strangers doors!

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Wait till the knock. Lived many different states. Never had them get together outside at a table. I would never sit and drink during a kids holiday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

This sounds super fun.............what an amazing idea. We are very remote, I get about 6 kids and 2 of them are s/o grandkids that live next door.  I would so be in for this idea.

terpmama
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If the weather is nice we sit out on our porch (we have cats that are indoor only so it's easier than trying to watch for them every 2 minutes... Of the weather is cold/crappy we lock the cats up and wait by the door inside.
over40bride
by Sister on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I live in AZ so the weather is always mild on Halloween night. Sometime on the chili side for us desert dwellers. That's when we bust out the portable fire pits.

Quoting terpmama:

If the weather is nice we sit out on our porch (we have cats that are indoor only so it's easier than trying to watch for them every 2 minutes... Of the weather is cold/crappy we lock the cats up and wait by the door inside.

Tracys2
by Bronze sister on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I've never seen what you describe.

Traditionally, we've had 1 parent walk out with the kids to all the houses, and 1 at home to hand out candy.

When we go out in this area, about 3/4 of homes have someone there handing out candy, and 1/4 (at most) have a bowl of candy out with a note on how much to take. I don't remember there ever being a bowl of candy out by itself when I was a kid.

This year, I don't know. They are having a trunk or treat at our church from 6:30 (we usually have it the weekend before, but people dropped the ball), and I'd like to help, but we'd only be able to stay maybe 45 minutes to still be able to trick-or-treat around here.

Not enough parents- eek!

Oh, and as for drinking, I have no issue with it as long as parents are paying attention to the kids as well. In fact, some of my friends do neighbourhood trick-or-drink for the parents along with treats for the kids, and everybody has fun. So long as they know their limits.

firelites
by Anne on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

when DH and I stop off for fast food , I get the kid meals instead of a full meal for the portion control , then I use them as stocking stuffers at X-mas, DH has been doing the same this year so I have a surplus of them, so I am giving out some of the toys for trick or treaters this year

happy halloween

wenuck
by Moonshine on Oct. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

When I didnt live in the Boonies Lol!! At our other home I would have my light on and my door open where you could see out the screen door and you would just see the kids coming to the door. And I would walk to the door and hand candy out to the cute kids! I'm sad I miss it sooo bad =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)