Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Holiday posts pt. 2- Fall & Thanksgiving DIY

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 115 Total Views

#Inspiration: Colored dough makes awesome

Colored dough makes awesome "Autumn Splendor" cookies! Use your own cookie recipe and add food coloring to make various shades of the dough, then blend some together and roll out. Cut with leaf cookie cutters.

Fall

The Supplies:

- a grapevine wreath (your choice of size) – be sure to check the shape. Because these are made from woody vines, they may not be round. Try to find the most round wreath you can.

- garland –  made this wreath with faux fall leaf one

- Approx. 50 Christmas ball ornaments – Preferably unbreakable but glass ornaments also work. You can use varying sizes if you want to. It’s also nice to use differing textures or finishes – shiny, matte, frosted, glittery. Remove the gold clasp into which ornament hooks slip. It’s best to take them off so you aren’t attaching the ornaments to your wreath by something that can come off.

- high temp glue gun and LOTS of glue meltsticks

- pliers with a wire cutting edge

- YOU CHOOSE: 3″ ribbon for hanging OR floral wire. It’s possible to make this wreath so it hangs by a floral wire hook rather than a ribbon.

How to Make the Wreath:

Lay out your supplies because once the glue starts flowing, you want to keep moving. Heat up your glue gun and be very careful!  Keep extra glue sticks handy. Lay out newspapers or something to protect your work surface.

Place your grapevine wreath on the work surface. Remove any loose leaves or random twigs that poke out. Determine which side looks best and which orientation makes the wreath the most round. If you are going to hang the wreath with a floral wire hook and want a complete circle wreath on the front, now is the time to flip the wreath over and loop 5-6 inches of wire through a few layers of vines. I would make double loops – maybe even triple loops. Be sure to twist the ends tightly to ensure your wreath doesn’t slide right off your door!

Begin adding ornaments to the wreath. Heavily glue the end of the ornament where the gold clasp used to be. It often will tuck in nicely between the grapevines. Hold it steady until the glue begins to harden.

Try to stagger the ornaments by color and texture. Plan at least two deep from inside the circle to the outside and vary it with three deep every few “rows.” The point is to not have a strict formation but make it look more random. Don’t worry about gaps between ornaments – that’s what the garland is for!

Leave a three inch section free of ornaments at the top of your wreath. This is where your ribbon will go. Be sure to measure the space with the ribbon you chose. If you’re hanging your wreath with wire, ignore this section and keep on gluing!

When you have placed balls all the way around the wreath, have someone hold it and step back about five feet. Look for lopsidedness and empty spaces. Then fill them in!

When you’re satisfied with the ornaments, get out your garland. If you’re using greenery, begin snipping 4″ sections using the wire cutters. I twisted the ends of two or three of these together to create a little bunch of greenery. If you’re using tinsel garland, snip 4″ sections. Play around with it – double it up, etc,. – to see how thick it becomes. If you’re using it to fill in spaces, it needs to be bulky enough to do some hiding.

If you’ve chosen to hang your wreath with a ribbon, loop it through the wreath and bring both ends to the top. Tie a knot before adding a pretty bow. You don’t want the wreath to fall off the door

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I will make the cookies... They are too cute...

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a favorite sugar dough recipe I use every year and make our cookies just like that.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm soooo using the cookie dough idea (now I have to find a good cookie cutter). I'm Martha Stewart for Thanksgiving and looking for ideas to wow the family and friends.

friendlyface13
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I love these.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)