Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the church needs what to give out food??????

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 36 Replies
  • 507 Total Views

I called several churches in my area to ask for a small gift basket of food for my single brother and his dog who are struggling to survive on this econmy.

2 churches email me back telling me to fill out a 2 page application form asking how much he pays for rent and his bills and so on.....

I used to attend church in the 90s and we gave food when someone needed it-no questions asked!

Now they need to know his financial status???

my sweet tenant who volunteers at the food pantry, got my brother a box of food right away, no questions asked.

it is sad that churches have come to this.

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Because too many losers take things they don't need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! Makes you wonder where their faith is. Glad you found a resource for your brother that could help out.

ashleighmama
by Ash on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I sometimes have to go to the food pantry at our local churches and they ask for name, address, phone number, total gross monthly income and how many people are in your household, but they don't ask for any proof of anything.

ChellBell2013
by Busy momma of 3 boys on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

That is sad sorry they were asking so many questions just to get a little help

hugs

ALolies
by 'Lil Feather' H.A. on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

A lot of churches now are businesses. They need the appropriate paperwork to claim taxes and for grants.

TatorsBaby09
I am finally home love you baby but glad I am off the truck and on solid ground that don't move miss being home but miss being with you
Yesterday at 4:43 PM
by Sister on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

the church we used to go to the Argentine Assembly of God never asked what people made they just gave out the food. most of the parishiners(Spelling sucks) gave even when they couldn't afford to so others didn't go hungry.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Sad!
But glad he got something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mustbeGRACE
by Bronze sister on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this

It's unfortunate.

But I think many churches have been burned by people who don't really need the help getting it.

It's hard to imagine people doing that, but they do.

In this economy, donations are down and I think churches want to make sure that people who really need it get help : )  

Moms_Angels1960
by McBunny Pie <3 on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Unfortunately that is what it is coming to Churches want money and they don't want to give to everyone.

Tracys2
by Sister on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

The food pantry at our church (not affiliated with it, but use the space for free) will give people financial help and some food if they feel you need it right then. You have to either have no option (transient) or live in our town. They do ask for proof for anybody requesting regular (monthly) help- most everyone. If you don't live in our town, they will send people to the pantry for wherever they do live.

They do say they have often been scammed, and that's the consequence, if they want to have enough food and such for the many people who really need it. Their shelves are often bare as it is.

And yes, people do debate which way is better. My friend's church (2 hours away) does just give away the food till they run out. They can only serve some of the people who come looking for food, and send a good portion awya with nothing. There are trade-offs either way :-(

Again, the church is not involved monetarily, it's just a crisis assistance group. So crisis assistance groups have the same issue, church or not.

I think it's a larger issue. And yes, quite sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)