Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Do you wash your

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 37 Replies
  • 520 Total Views
1 mom liked this

bananas?
Yes, I'm serious
No, this doesn't belong in Taboo, LOL.

I wash mine when I get home with them. I worry about contamination. I know what you are thinking. You don't eat the peeling, so what's the big deal? Well, think about it.  You handle the peeling, then you handle the banana. Now you have contaminated your banana. So that is why I wash my bananas.

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Hmmm...nope. Never even thought to wash my banana...lol. I guess I like it DIRTY! (oh wait..this is NOT taboo!) No no...NO dirty. CLEAN NANNA'S!!!!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Are you gonna make me move my post on the very first comment? Behave... LMBO...

Hubby has had stomach issues (salmonella) a couple of different times. We are VERY careful with produce.

Quoting Maida265:

Hmmm...nope. Never even thought to wash my banana...lol. I guess I like it DIRTY! (oh wait..this is NOT taboo!) No no...NO dirty. CLEAN NANNA'S!!!!

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I suppose this washing thing could be helpful. Do you wash ALL your fruit even the ones you skin? Oranges...clementines...grapefruit?

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

OOPS...sorry...but I've been caged up for a while. I have NO idea what I will be like when I re-entered 40ish society.

Quoting ALolies:

Are you gonna make me move my post on the very first comment? Behave... LMBO...

Hubby has had stomach issues (salmonella) a couple of different times. We are VERY careful with produce.

Quoting Maida265:

girlcitycountry
by Chris on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Never thought about washing my banana.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Yes, I wsh all my produce. Think about it. Someone has handled that fruit. Where have their hands been? Are they clean people? It really is disgusting to think about how many people have handle our produce before we get it home.

Quoting Maida265:

I suppose this washing thing could be helpful. Do you wash ALL your fruit even the ones you skin? Oranges...clementines...grapefruit?

ashleighmama
by Ash on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm.... No, I don't.

javakitty2011
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

supposed to wash your hands and all your fruits and veggies before use. 

Storage and prep tips at the link

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm114299.htm#prep 

Prepare Safely

When preparing any fresh produce, begin with clean hands. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water before and after preparation.

• Cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing and/or eating. Produce that looks rotten should be discarded.

• Wash all produce thoroughly under running water before eating, cutting or cooking. This includes produce grown conventionally or organically at home, or purchased from a grocery store or farmer's market. Washing fruits and vegetables withProduce Safety: Lettuce soap or detergent or using commercial produce washes is not recommended.

• Even if you plan to peel the produce before eating, it is still important to wash it first so dirt and bacteria aren’t transferred from the knife onto the fruit or vegetable. FDA has a poster, Wash Fruits and Vegetables (PDF: 1.6MB), you can print and display to remember to wash your fruits and vegetables before eating.

• Scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a clean produce brush.

• Dry produce with a clean cloth towel or paper towel to further reduce bacteria that may be present.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Well I wash my fruit, just not before I peel it. I don't wash banana's (they'd be banana puddin' by the time I was done) but I do wash oranges, grapes, and other fruits after I peel. Gosh...now you got me thinking....EWWWWWW I'm gonna hurl! I just ate a bunch of fruit for dinner!!!!

Quoting ALolies:

Yes, I wsh all my produce. Think about it. Someone has handled that fruit. Where have their hands been? Are they clean people? It really is disgusting to think about how many people have handle our produce before we get it home.

Quoting Maida265:

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG!!!! YES!!!! Just never thought of the peel, lol!
I place all my veggies in cool water and add a splash of.... vinegar
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN