Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

New normal, cultural thing, generational thing? WDYT?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 27 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I was shopping for clothing in a store that caters to the whole family on Sunday and noticed at least three different families throughout the store who allowed their children to run wild, bump into customers, play in clothing racks, scream and cry. Made me want to slap the you know what out of their folks who were oblivious to their kids.

I noticed they were of a different ethnicity, but there were at least two. They were also about my kids' age as parents. I couldn't believe how they ignored their kids, but when one tried to run between me and a clothes rack I put a grinding hault to the situation, looked him in the eye and told him to stop and go back to his parents.

I notice this in grocery stores and clothing stores. Do you encounter people who substitute the store for going to the park and allowing their children to burn off energy?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Mac Goddess on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I had my niece with me one day and two kids were running through the grocery store like animals. As one little girl ran around the corner she toppled a glass jar onto the floor. I was right behind her and had my niece by the hand. Her brother started to pick up the glass and another lady and I told him to just leave the glass on the ground so that he wouldn't get cut.

An older lady was behind me and piped up, "Aren't you going to get someone to clean that up?" "I looked at her and said I could, and so can you." "She said well it's your kids." "I said no...this one, pointing to my niece who I still had by the hand is. Those are not my children," and the other lady also said the same thing to her. Meanwhile the mom of the kids was still shopping in the store oblivious to her children's actions.

mjgm1966
by Bronze sister on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and that drives me crazy!.   My husband has a cousin that allowed her kids to do that.  And sometimes, she would scream at them at the top of her lungs to stop.  Not that it did any good.  And it was almost as embarrassing!  Many people just don't care and don't teach respect. Sad.

Carmen66
by Hot Latina on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

yes, that annoys the hell outta me. My kids and grandkids no better, I will pop that ass if i have to matter what.

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and it drives me crazy.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yes. As the owner of a hobby shop (toy store) I see it on a daily basis. I hate having to be the one to tell the kids to behave. Sometimes I want to ask the parents why they feel it is okay for their child to behave like a heathen.

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Yes. I have noticed this and it drives me crazy! I have a habit of telling them to stop if they are around me. The other day I was in the store and two kids were playing/tossing a ball around and running. I was just about to say something and one of the store employees did. Shocked the kids. I guess they weren't used to someone telling them to stop. It's like some parents don't care anymore what their kids do.

If we ever acted like that when we were younger we would have been smacked.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it is the new generation and some of them are not parenting their kids. It is pathetic how some run like wild animals in stores or restaurants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

While I reprimanded the child I encountered I could not find his parents anyplace. Ugh! I guess you know just what I'm talking about.

Quoting rosebud727:

Yes, I had my niece with me one day and two kids were running through the grocery store like animals. As one little girl ran around the corner she toppled a glass jar onto the floor. I was right behind her and had my niece by the hand. Her brother started to pick up the glass and another lady and I told him to just leave the glass on the ground so that he wouldn't get cut.

An older lady was behind me and piped up, "Aren't you going to get someone to clean that up?" "I looked at her and said I could, and so can you." "She said well it's your kids." "I said no...this one, pointing to my niece who I still had by the hand is. Those are not my children," and the other lady also said the same thing to her. Meanwhile the mom of the kids was still shopping in the store oblivious to her children's actions.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I know someone who allows her 2 year old to talk back to adults and thinks it's cute. I don't get it.

Quoting atlmom2:

I think it is the new generation and some of them are not parenting their kids. It is pathetic how some run like wild animals in stores or restaurants.

JohnnysGirl1967
by Sister on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

And people wonder how their kids go missing! When my children were younger they stayed right by my side no matter what store we were in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)