Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Sleep Study???

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 117 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Has anyone ever done a sleep study?  My doctor wants me to do one to see if I have sleep apnea.  Just wondering what to expect.sleep

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessicamarquez
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Alot of wires!!! They wake you up if one comes loose uhm nothing to bad just taking off all the stickys after sucks and you get to learn how many dreams you had but didn't remember that was the cool part.
Maxamista
by Momma's BFF on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
You will be hooked up to wires and monitored .

My friends daughter just had to do this

Good luck you will be fine .

Is it a paid study? Lol if so that's a plus
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

FIL and my brother have.  Both have it. 

Dh needs it.  I know he has sleep apnea.  He refuses to go.  Pisses me off.  He snores and shakes the whole house. 

MCA23
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM

The ENT doc made us put our daughter through one when she was 5, to determine if her enlarged tonsils were causing sleep apnea (to decide if they'd take out her tonsils or not.)  No sleep apnea, they took her tonsils anyway.  Really stressful, expensive night- for no benefit to us at all.

But I got to see how it all worked- like others said- LOTS of wires, then try to go to sleep in a weird hotel-type room knowing a technician is watching you on a camera.  Super weird.  As an adult, I could handle it- but it was definitely weird and not fun.

Rachel326
by Sister on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Just had this done this past summer. They put electrodes on your head, face, chest, and legs. I wore shorts & a t- shirt which made it easier  to put these on.  I had to have 6 hours of monitering & then was  able to go home. I do have sleep apnea & was  glad I have the machine. I was so exhausted before this 24/7 never felt rested. Now I have more energy than I have had in years. Machine is easy to use & only takes about a week to get used to it.

jlsjjsmom
by Sister on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM

DH has had 2 of them in the last couple weeks. The first was the regular study, which showed he has sleep apnea. The second was where they hooked him up to a CPAP machine, which showed that - while the machine helped with the obstructive apnea - it caused central apnea. He'll need a different type of machine - I think it's ASV. He talks to the sleep doc next week and then home health should be in to get him set up.  

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My MIL just went through it. If she can do it, you can do it. She picked up her CPAP yesterday. I haven't talked to her this morning to see how she did with it though.

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Not me. Good luck

girlcitycountry
by Chris on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Not me but I have thought about it.  I do have some sleep issues.

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I did it 10 years ago.  I didn't get much sleep that night (so I thought) but did get confirmation that I was stopping breathing every 7 minutes or so.  Have used a cpap ever since.  It makes a huge difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)